Rippowam Labs Message Board › First meeting - next Friday, June 22nd

First meeting - next Friday, June 22nd

John R.
user 31157932
Group Organizer
Norwalk, CT
All,

I just wanted to thank everyone for their interest in our new group.

I'd like everyone to pencil in next Friday, June 22nd ~7 pm for the first meeting. I want to get it out there, so everyone has a chance to get it on their respective calendars. (I'm still working on a Norwalk location. I'll announce it when its secured.)

We've got quite a group forming, with a wide range of talents and know-how. Some have even volunteered to step up and do the heavy lifting to get this thing going. We've also had people from other area hackerspaces (Waterbury, New Haven and Danbury) offer their support.

The good news is that we are are stacked with people who thirst for knowledge - and want to start a community where we create our own learning opportunities.

Most people realize that learning/creating new stuff alone is not nearly as fun or productive, compared to doing this with other like-minded people. The success of other area hackerspaces speak for themselves (e.g., NYCResistor.com). The good news is that getting this thing off the ground should be easier for us, because we're in a position to learn from others' mistakes.

Before we actually meet, I'd like to get everyone thinking about what kinds of things you'd like to learn. We can chart out the calendar from our first meeting. We've got a lot of talented people, so finding teachers shouldn't be a problem. (I'm actually teaching an Arduino On-Ramp class on June 22nd at CTHackerspace.)

Also, I want to poll our group on what kinds of  resources they're willing to commit to this (i.e., time, expertise, tools, money). The goal is to get a place to call our own, whether it be a space in a local community center (< 24-hour access), a church basement (limited hours per week), or our own hackerspace with 24x7 access. I've got a few locations in mind and I'd like to get your feedback.

The options to funding our space are also varied. We could offer unique classes to the general community and return the student tuition back to the club. We could also charge member dues (New Haven charges $60/month). We could also use the space as a co-working facility during the day, when most people are at work, and use the fees charged to pay our rent. Or it could be a mixture of all.

The bottom line is that I want to get your thoughts and ideas on how to proceed. I've got a lot of ideas - but I need your feedback.

I'm really looking forward to meeting all of you! I want you all to feel free to call me at anytime. My cell is 203-613-7668. I'm usually available at lunchtime and after 5 (you can call anytime on the weekend).

John

johninnorwalk@gmail.com