Announcing a new Meetup for Road Trips Aotearoa (Wellington)!
What: Cape Palliser & Putangirua Pinnacles in the Wairarapa
When: Saturday, July 10,[masked]:00 AM
Where: (A location has not been chosen yet.)
Intro from Wairarapa NZ "The road to Cape Palliser is one of the region?s highlights. The shoreline was settled by Maori about 800 years ago and traces of their occupation can still be seen. About 20 minutes drive along the road to Cape Palliser, you can walk up to weird and wonderful Putangirua Pinnacles, formed by 120,000 years of erosion."http://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/places-to-visit/wellington/wairarapa/aorangi-forest-park/features/putangirua-pinnacles/http://www.aatravel.co.nz/101/MustDo_Cape-Palliser.html
This will be a 2 days trip
to Cape Palliser and Putangirua Pinnacles,
with the option of also visiting Martinborough for wine tasting, tramping and/or sight seeing along the coast. Other activities includes fishing, Paua catching and a social evening with nice company and maybe some (board?) games, music etc.
Sherman's work mate offered us kindly his hospitality in a residential house in the Cape Palliser Road which has rooms that can accommodate about 5 -7 people (2 berooms, 2 bathrooms, there are beds and benches for people to sleepL: Bedroom can sleep 3 and lounge can squeeze 3 to 4). Everyone will have to bring sleep bags and enough warm clothes.
Details to be discussed on Wednesday evening next week (23/07/2010 - I'll schedule a seperate meetup for that!). Here my idea:
- Leaving Saturday morning (9am?) Wellington Central with a breakfast stop somewhere (e.g. Featherston?)
- Get to the batch and explore the surroundings (Lighthouse, Coast, Pinnacles) as the weather allowes during Saturday and Sunday
- Take "Favourite board games", a guitar & voice or whatever good ideas for social things on Saturday evening
- Take random food to have a potluck meal on Saturday evening and breakfast on Sunday morning
- leave Sunday afternoon with a stopover for a wine tasting or just a coffe ... depneding on how we feel in Martinborough
Learn more here:http://www.meetup.com/RoadTripsAoteaoa/calendar/13816645/