Marjorie W. G.
user 31649272
Roanoke, VA
Post #: 9
I wanted to let you guys know, without making a big deal about it, that my son Ben has autism. I wish to share this because while he has many aptitudes, making/sustaining conversation is really difficult for him, and it helps for people to know that. It was funny when Dan said he was interested to learn what goes on in the kids' heads I thought "Geez, me too!" When I occasionally do get a glimpse of Ben's ideas, I'm very encouraged. Thanks for listening!
Micah B.
user 73091072
Radford, VA
Post #: 9
Hey that's cool! I'm very mildly autistic myself (used to be called aspergers, but apparently it's just considered really mild autism now). It took me forever to be able to communicate to people normally, but I focused on learning to talk to technology instead, and that's a big part of why I'm an engineer now. I'm a very passive learner, so watching machines and electronics work is very fascinating.

Thanks for bringing Ben to the club meetings! I think it will help him a lot, and I hope to be able to contribute my experience as well!
Kevin H.
kevinhines
Group Organizer
Orlando, FL
Post #: 67
Thanks for your posts, Marjie & Micah.

Many of us in the STEM fields (science, technology, engineering & math) seem to have a mild form of autism, i.e., asperger's ...

Having mild autism or asperger's is an opportunity to take what some people see as a disadvantage, and turn it into an advantage, by finding ways to direct one's passions into productive areas ... and to make the world a better place for all people ... :-)

Marjie, I'm glad you and Ben found the robotics club, and I look forward to your continuing participation!

:-)

PS - Here's a video which inspires me, by Temple Grandin, on this topic: http://www.ted.com/ta...­

Thanks!
Marjorie W. G.
user 31649272
Roanoke, VA
Post #: 10
Thanks, guys. We feel very welcome!
A former member
Post #: 1
I don't have an overt condition I can blame for my social issues, but like Micah I've always preferred machines to people... maybe partly because even when they misbehave or don't what you want, machines have a good reason for it! :-) If it's at all encouraging, even sitting right next to him I didn't notice anything significantly "different" about Ben -- most kids his age have difficulty with strangers and large groups. Like Micah said, this group is probably a great place for him, but knowing his situation does help everyone understand and accommodate him. Personally, I haven't been a part of any group that was more encouraging and positive for kids of all types and ages than this one. Thanks for sharing!
miriam c.
user 88386772
Roanoke, VA
Post #: 1
Hi. I was at the meeting with my 9 year old grandson who is on the low end of the autism spectrum. Cody is very intelligent and does well academically; however when it comes to communication and controlling his emotions (such as anger) he lacks skills. I was so excited that he asked a question at the meeting because he very seldom speaks to people he does not know. Thank you for making us feel welcomed and although this was so far over my head and Cody's head, we will return to learn.
Kevin H.
kevinhines
Group Organizer
Orlando, FL
Post #: 69
Miriam: Thanks! I'm very happy that you and Cody felt welcome, and that Cody felt comfortable enough to speak to the group! One part of the mission of the robotics club, is to give everyone (kids & adults) opportunities to develop leadership skills, which includes speaking with groups of people... I look forward to your & Cody's continuing participation! Thanks! :-)