Roanoke Robotics & Makers Club of Southwest Virginia Message Board › Lots of parts and no project (yet).

Lots of parts and no project (yet).

Micah B.
user 73091072
Radford, VA
Post #: 13
Anyone have suggestions for what do to with one of these: http://beagleboard.or...­
and one of these: http://www.raspberryp...­ ?
I also have an old arduino, a motor driver, a large-ish RC toy car (no controller), a BS2 homework board, and lots of other electronics parts and tools I haven't been using. (lots of logic ICs that would be good for learning digital logic, lots of resistors, caps, etc.)

I'm willing to sell the processors or donate the smaller parts I can't use, if someone is willing to put them into a good project. Or I'm also looking to help someone with an existing project, if you don't live too far away from the NRV.
jay
warranty-voider
Roanoke, VA
Post #: 22
you should look at some of the things done by Ben heck. he built a gameboy type thing using the raspberry pi and a ROM emulator. look him up on YouTube.
Gary Y.
user 38202422
Roanoke, VA
Post #: 33
Virginia Science Fair is Sept 27. Please built something cool & interactive for the Roanoke Robotics Exhibit.
Norman L.
user 80898512
Christiansburg, VA
Post #: 2
Hey Micah, want to build a robot together?
Micah B.
user 73091072
Radford, VA
Post #: 15
Sure! I didn't realize you live in CBurg.

Everyone: there is no shortage of ideas. In fact, I have started a dozen different projects (which is where I got these parts to begin with), but I have yet to actually complete something on my own. It's usually because I'm way too ambitious and then realize I can't afford the $500 in tools and parts I need to complete the project. That one time I built that $10,000 robot was cool, but I can't do that by myself. Unfortunately, it got me used to having a bigger budget than I now have. I got my $500 robot plan down to $300, but it's still out of my reach for the time being. I wish I had Jay's part-sourcing skills. The most expensive parts are the motors and the batteries, which can be found for almost nothing if you know where to look (I don't).

By the way, if anyone needs a design for a custom autonomous robot controller board, I can do it. I have several board designs based on a PIC32 and one based on the Parallax Propeller. The newer versions have some neat sensors.
Norman L.
user 80898512
Christiansburg, VA
Post #: 3
Call me. 540 505 2955
jay
warranty-voider
Roanoke, VA
Post #: 23
Sure! I didn't realize you live in CBurg.

Everyone: there is no shortage of ideas. In fact, I have started a dozen different projects (which is where I got these parts to begin with), but I have yet to actually complete something on my own. It's usually because I'm way too ambitious and then realize I can't afford the $500 in tools and parts I need to complete the project. That one time I built that $10,000 robot was cool, but I can't do that by myself. Unfortunately, it got me used to having a bigger budget than I now have. I got my $500 robot plan down to $300, but it's still out of my reach for the time being. I wish I had Jay's part-sourcing skills. The most expensive parts are the motors and the batteries, which can be found for almost nothing if you know where to look (I don't).

By the way, if anyone needs a design for a custom autonomous robot controller board, I can do it. I have several board designs based on a PIC32 and one based on the Parallax Propeller. The newer versions have some neat sensors.
just ran a quick craigslist search and hit an ad for a power chair with bad batteries for 100 in SC. power chairs are excellent for starting platforms. terabyte was built from a hover round fwd model.
everything is basically ready for conversion. I'm using 2 lawn and garden tractor batteries from Walmart for power. the motors specific to my unit are perfect for bots both on and off road. and with most power chair units starting with a 300lb capacity before you removing in needed parts it is ideal.

I'm about 3 hours away from c'burg and I have all sorts of tools for the job of robot building, including welders, metal to fabricate with and possibly a cheap source for some 150,170Ah agm batteries.
Austin D.
user 116643312
Roanoke, VA
Post #: 22
with a toy car arduino and a cheap remote for wireless christmas lights you can automate your home
like mine use the motors from the toy car to put wheels on your doors and use the remote to activate a short burst of power to open or close the door use another motor place it in the back of your toilet and use it to wind up the chain with the remote simply press a button to flush the toilet do the same with that pesky volume knob the you have to get up to change and lights
Micah B.
user 73091072
Radford, VA
Post #: 16
I would love to build a bigger robot like Terabyte, but since my entire robotics budget is about $25, I've decided that I can only contribute to someone else's project. All of the parts I have were either given to me or were purchased for my classes at Tech (which is why I have a lot of electronics that would be good for learning, I have a few sets of circuits lab parts for each class.) The upside is that I have several of everything we learned how to use, from logic gates, PLDs, microcontrollers, even an FPGA dev board. Unfortunately, I don't have a programmer for the PLDs or microcontrollers (PICs).
Mark S.
user 140724882
Roanoke, VA
Post #: 3
Have you considered trying a project like the $50 robot?
http://www.societyofr...­

You've probably already got the most expensive parts.