We explore robotics at the hobbyist level. Join us as we learn new skills, build and program robots, and participate in robotics events!
Here is the basic layout of the group as I envision it in terms of types of meetups. Feel free to send me your comments.
- Meet-and-Greet / Brainstorm sessions / Show-and-Tell -- socialize
- Learning -- Members teach skills such as: "getting started with ROS", "Soldering surface mount components", "Machining gears", "Using a 3D printer to make components"
- Build Time -- time to work on your projects using the host's equipment, possibly competitive building/coding hackathons
- Field Trip -- local trips to places such as Sarcos (maybe) and remote trips to awesome events such as RoboGames, National Robotics Week specific events, Sparkfun's Autonomous Vehicle Competition, Hawaii Underwater Robot Challenge.
I have a few robot platforms to play with and learn from:
- Robotis Bioloid Intermediate
- Robotis OLLO
- Parallax BOE Bot
- Arexx Asuro
- Pololu 3PI
- Dagu Wild Thumper
- Dagu Mr. General
- Dagu Mr. Basic
- POB Robotics Suite
- Digilent Robotic Starter Kit
Working on getting:
Build Time (Details)
- Fischertechnik stuff
During build time we work on our own projects or help others with theirs. This is a great time to get advice on how to design/build/wire/solder/program your own robot.
I'm willing to provide my basement workshop for some of our meetups, but generally people don't want to travel out to Eagle Mountain. For this reason we have established relationships with various maker organizations in Utah. Namely, Make:SLC
(in Salt Lake) and The Transistor
The list below describes what I have available in my basement. I'm willing to bring some of this equipment to whatever location we happen to be meeting at:
- Soldering Irons
- Ancient Oscilloscope
- Misc electronic components
- Mini Milling Machine - With Rotary Table
- Scroll Saw
- Table Saw
- Drill Press
- 3D Printer (Mendelmax)
On the buying to do list:
- Laser cutter
- CNC upgrade for my mill
- Metal Lathe
- Welding Equipment
- Shop Bot
I do ask for a $2 usage fee to use my stuff so I can take care of any wear and tear that may occur. I'm sure future buildspace providers will feel the same way.