I'm currently working on a project remotely, and they (we) have need for a Django person until the end of the calendar year. I work remotely from my home in Rochester, although 3 or 4 times a year I have to travel down to Owings Mills MD for a week. A couple of things to keep in mind:
- The contract will pay the contracting company about $85-90/hr, so I think the developer will end up getting around $70/hr or possibly more.
- They're located in Maryland and the contract company doesn't "do" New York, so you have to make your own quarterly estimated tax payments. (Not that hard to do, ask me)
- If they offer health care (I didn't ask), they probably only do so in Maryland so you'll have to make your own arrangements for that.
- They have a 401(k) program, but no matching and I don't think you're eligible for the first 6 months or so.
- The trips down to Maryland are out of your own pocket - I spend about $900 - $1200 per trip, although if we were going together we could share the rental car (around $300) between us.
- Like all software projects that require a contractor, they're late and getting later, so you'd have to be ready to start within 2 or 3 weeks of being offered the contract.
On the plus side, if you're located in Rochester, maybe we could meet once a week or every other week at a co-working space.