Rochester Sci-Fi / Roleplay Geek Meetup Group Message Board › Looking for additional players

Looking for additional players

Don M.
user 54141022
Rochester, NY
Post #: 4
Sounds interesting. I have no idea what kind of character build I'll be going for but I'll review my copy of the rules to reacquaint myself with them. I was hoping they would opt for starting a new campaign but considering the characters everyone is rolling with I understand why they really wouldn't want to let go of them.
As for recruiting other players I'll ask around and see if anyone is interested.
Let me know what's going on.
Frank S.
user 36268472
Rochester, NY
Post #: 17
I was hoping for a fresh start too, but they did acquire a bunch of new "toys" towards the end which they didn't have too much opportunity to play with...so they really want to play with their rewards. The new campaign will probably be Star Trek -like with the emphasis on exploration and diplomacy (promoting the Imperium and its benefits). Plus they also want to improve their psionic abilities (including discovering its lost "arts") and acquire some martial arts techniques (which I hope to write up soon...gotta get my butt in geartongue) along the way.

As for your character:

1) Races available = Human (incl. Darrians - "elvish"looking intellectuals), Vargr (uplifted Terran wolves), Aslan (powerfully built feline-like humanoids with a bushido-like philosophy/outlook), Droyne (mostly smallish, winged reptilian enigmatic humanoids with natural psionic abilities and rigid social structure, very group oriented), and various minor races including genetically engineered variants of humans. The other major races, the K'kree and Hivers, are very rare in this area of space as their homeworlds are far away. I might also allow an "android" type character if someone really wants one (major downside would be what level of sentient rights it would get at various locales -- from None to Full rights possible).

2) Suggested Careers = Space Navy, Scouts, Army/Marines, Scientist, Diplomat, Imperial Agent, Dilettante/Explorer. I do have supplemental books that go into more career detail for each of these compared to the main rule book.

After generation, I will be assigning experience points to spend on charatcer improvement and probably some addtional gear as well so you shouldn't feel like a "red shirt."wink
Don M.
user 54141022
Rochester, NY
Post #: 5
I was thinking of a human actually. Pretty bog standard on that front. With a criminal background in his past but he's been working for the Imperium for some time. You see he was in need of a new central nervous system - long story - and Imperium officials agreed to help if he would work for them. After years of working as a scout/agent, and putting his crime related skills to good use, he's become a bit of a free agent.

He will still willingly work for the Imperium though he's rather tired of a it all angathic use has extended his life so he's quit a bit older than he looks. As a result he's seen and done a lot and is looking for something interesting.
Frank S.
user 36268472
Rochester, NY
Post #: 18
It looks like the tentative start date for my Traveller re-start will be Sunday, August 19th at my house, 35 Black Watch Trail in Fairport (near Routes 31 and 250). If you could possibly make it here by 2:30 or so, we can do the character generation. As I mentioned earlier, the campaign will be along the lines of something similar to Star Trek -- exploration and discovery, diplomatic and "showing the flag" activities -- without actually being Star Trek (already have the various RPG rules sets for that). It also looks like there will be 3 other players (plus keeping the one in Bergen "in the loop" to a degree), their characters being:

1) Male Droyne Warrior caste -- Scout Service/ex-pirate;
2) Female Human, modified = feathery wings, can fly -- Space Naval Officer/Noble - Duchess of Regina Subsector;
3) Female Human -- prototype psionic warrior (Top Secret Imperial Navy Research Project);
4) Male Darrian (human variant) -- Covert Psionic Operative, lost in time (from about 40 years in the future), belongs to our missing player in Bergen...

For anyone else following this thread, I am still looking for additional players!smilesmilesmile
Don M.
user 54141022
Rochester, NY
Post #: 6
Quit the motley assort we're starting with. I must admit it is something of drive for me as I live in the city but I'm certainly interested. I'll see about getting out there early.

I did notice you're group is into the trans-human stuff do you know of any on-line sources that could help giving something of a background on how that works in traveller?
Frank S.
user 36268472
Rochester, NY
Post #: 19
My address is 35 Black Watch Trail, Fairport NY...might be somewhat obscured as a next door neighbor turned their property into a mini-forest of sorts!tongue

As for the "transhuman" stuff, some are the result of the "Ancients" mucking about -- uplifting Terran Wolves (the Vargr), genetically engineering some human variants to make them more adaptable to certain worlds (in other cases, only the Ancients know why...), plus more limited uplifting of Terran apes and bears. Humans (and a couple of other races), for their part, have uplifted cetaceans (particularly dolphins), genetically engineered a few human variants of their own, and have invented numerous cyberware and bio-ware upgrades for humans, vargr, and aslan...not sure if any exist for the K'kree, Droyne, and Hivers. The lone Droyne in the group got his augments mostly from interaction with agents of the Ancients and some Ancients themselves if I recall correctly...he may have gotten some within the Imperium that were modified but I am not sure.

In terms of game mechanics, they generally act as adds or modifiers to attributes (Str, Dex, End, etc) or skills. Others allow for greater movement, less sleep, resistance to poisons or radiation, and so forth. At the cutting edge are those augments that assist psionics (mostly illegal, or strictly top-secret military in the Imperium). As for online sources, the best place would probably be the Mongoose forums for Traveller as answers can be found there, either already answered or you can just ask which I have done many times.smile
Charles P.
user 9618241
Pittsford, NY
Post #: 16
Should your group have an opening I might be interested in trying to free up time to play.

I am a D&D (from before the origina), Traveller, Champions, GURPs, Harn, War Hammer Fantasy Roleplay, Cyberpunk player -- open to other RPGs as well.
Frank S.
user 36268472
Rochester, NY
Post #: 24
Yes we could use another player. Currently we're back down to three players and me as the GM...Donald had to drop out for now due to tight finances and another previous player is working towards rejoining the group possibly some time in the future.

You can find campaign info on previous posts, and we still currently meet at my place in Fairport on Sundays from about 2-2:30ish unitl about 10 (occasionally later). We break for about an hour for dinner...usually go out to a nearby eatery -- Wendys, Great Northern Pizza, Bill Grays, Tom Wahls, DiBellas Subs (other places around are McDonalds, Subway, Aja Noodle, Panera Bread, Wegmans).

We should be playing this Sunday, possibly at a later time as two players have a family thing to attend to first. The following Sunday, I am planning to run an event at the upcoming Minicon at CoWorking Rochester on the 14th listed on the homepage of this site. After that, schedule should return to normal.