addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Rochester Sci-Fi / Roleplay Geek Meetup Group Message Board › Hoi Chummers! Any shadowrunners out there?

Hoi Chummers! Any shadowrunners out there?

A former member
Post #: 33
I've been looking over my Shadowrun 4th edition and was wondering how much interest was out there. If enough interest is there, I could run maybe 4 to 6 runners, doing some SR4 runs. Schedule-wise, I was thinking Millennium Games on either Tuesday or Thursday nights (6 pm to close),or perhaps Saturday afternoons (1 or 1:30 pm to about 5:30 pm).
For those unfamiliar, the game takes the cyberpunk genre and mixes it with elements of high fantasy -- humans, elves, dwarves, orks, and trolls; high tech and magic; mega-powerful megacorporations, criminal syndicates, cartels, magic guilds, powerful native-american nations...even dragons serving as CEO's...and serving as the deniable assets/pawns -- the Shadowrunners (Street Samurai, Wage-Mages, Street Shaman, Hackers, Technomancers, Assassins, Sprawl Gangers, and many more).
Sean C. J. B.
user 10259477
Rochester, NY
Post #: 36
I would be interested in this Frank, especially if it is on a Tues or Thurs night. I have most of the 4th edition rulebooks and am fairly familiar with the rules. I was actually going to start a campaign but felt kind of bogged down by the rules. I would probably play a hacker.

Also I am thinking about running a Pathfinder campaign (Rise of the Runelords) on Saturday afternoons and if your game is not running then, than maybe you would be interested.
Mike
user 10355438
Webster, NY
Post #: 44
I'm definitely interested in Shadowrun. But I'll give you the same terrible scheduling difficulties that have prevented me from playing in any regular game since I joined this group:

I can't do a weekly game. Biweekly I could do. Sundays are right out for me. Thurs would work best, though I could make Tues work as well.

I used to play whatever version was around back in 89-91.. first edition, I guess, since I don't remember it having a number. I used to play a street samurai and I had a rarely used rigger and gang member, but of course, I'd play almost anything needed if I could find a game I could actually fit into my schedule.
A former member
Post #: 34
I was thinking of perhaps Friday nights, but with two people available Thursday nights... could work, though I would probably do this at my house in Fairport. Millennium has events on Thursdays with problems being space and noise (especially noise), and I can't do Pair O' Dice weeknights. On Tuesdays, my mother and stepfather tend to be around...would have to watch the noise levels after a while. I guess I will post my event then for Shadowrun, 4th edition on Thursday nights at my place in Fairport starting sometime in late April (gives me time to re-study the rules again as I'm a bit rusty).smile
Mike
user 10355438
Webster, NY
Post #: 48
Oh, and before you count me in, be forewarned - I may as well be considered a newbie since I haven't actually gamed since the early 90's. I've done some reading about games, bought some rule books that have collected a record-breaking amount of dust, and put a lot of time into considering gaming, but... yeah. No time at the table doing the actual gaming part. Calling me rusty might be an understatement. So if you'd rather leave the guy who's going to say a lot of "huh?", "roll for what?", "where is that on the character sheet?", and "wasn't there dice pools in this game?", I'll completely understand.
A former member
Post #: 36
Actually I'm better with newcomers as the last group I ran Shadowrun for hadn't really cared for it until they played with me as GM...they actually were enjoying it more because I would take the time to explain things. Same with Savage Worlds and some other games. The gamer types I tend to dislike are the "rules lawyers," the ultra-competitive types (those who put themselves first before the team), and those who hate noobs. I do admit to being too social during games I'm in which can slow things down a bit sometimes -- but then again, I got into playing these games as a way of stress release and having fun which I think some have forgotten or are just too intense. Other than that, I do tend to sometimes get bogged down in rules questions due to the occasional "vague" rule, so I may need some prodding in my quest to be fair to all without "breaking" the game. I believe I did mention somewhere in my write-up that I would welcome noobs...wink
A former member
Post #: 26
I would love to play Shadowrun. I havent played the newest edition of the game, but I used to play one of the older versions and loved it.

To help alleviate some of the scheduling issues, would any of you consider using a virtual tabletop to get together and play, like http://roll20.net/...­ It is free and seems to have all the tools necessary to get a live game going.

- Rob
A former member
Post #: 38
I don't know. I am pretty "old-school" when it comes to modern technology. A lot of the stuff on PC's I don't understand anymore and get pretty flustered at using some of it. I will not invest in smartphones, 'pads, 'pods, and such as I have no need for them or want them. I do not do texting or use a lot of functions I have on my TracFone. I do get on Facebook (but nothing else social media wise) and do play the DDOMMO. I am avoiding doing any kind of GM'ing online as I see too many issues coming up that make me very uncomfortable doing it.
Thus, when it comes to doing rpg's, I prefer the "old school" face-to-face get togethers using paper, dice, writing utensils, calculators, minis and maps, and imagination. I could run at other locales, but each has some inherent limitations usually involving parking, play space, noise levels, nearby eateries, and closing times (for business locations). I also could look into running on different nights or maybe a Saturday afternoon if there are enough people interested in playing (generally about 4 to 6 or so). I may also look into the U of R and RIT game groups as potential sites as well.
A former member
Post #: 1
I would be super interested in a Shadowrun game, especially on the weekends. Let me know if you end up doing that.
A former member
Post #: 39
Weekends are a bit problematic as I run for two non-meet-up groups (Saturday night for one, and Sunday afternoon/night for the other). Former group is pretty close-knit (playing Dragon Age RPG), Sunday group wants more players -- currently doing Savage Worlds, huge Traveller fans. The event I am doing on Thursday night(s) of this month...if you can make it before 8 pm you shouldn't miss too much. Main problem with the meet-up group is trying get people together who have compatible schedules and travel arrangements.