Rochester Sci-Fi / Roleplay Geek Meetup Group Message Board › Looking for group

Looking for group

Rob
Rob109
Ontario, NY
Post #: 30
Hey everybody. I'm looking for people to play D&D (3.5 preferred) or maybe D20 Modern. I live in Ontario but I'd be willing to travel a reasonable distance to game. I have weekends off so that would work best for me timewise.
Mike
user 10355438
Webster, NY
Post #: 46
I live in Webster, similarly interested, but my schedule is (of course) entirely different. I'm only available biweekly. I'm free week nights, Mon-Th, and might be able to do Fri or Sun, but again, only biweekly.
Rob
Rob109
Ontario, NY
Post #: 31
I work nights Monday through Friday...
Mike
user 10355438
Webster, NY
Post #: 47
Well, that's a definite scheduling conflict. If you're not looking for a hardcore weekly gaming session, I could probably shoot for something biweekly on a Sunday or Friday night. Saturday would be a little harder, but still possible.
Rob
Rob109
Ontario, NY
Post #: 32
Friday nights wouldn't work as I have to work from 3pm to 11pm. Sundays would be doable. We could work something out say maybe once or twice a month. How many players are in the group and what would you guys be interested in doing?
Frank S.
user 36268472
Rochester, NY
Post #: 42
My Sunday group is still open to players. Meetings are weekly at my house from about 3:30 until however late I can play. Currently we are doing Savage Worlds: Red Sands (Space: 1889), but plan to eventually get back into Traveller (2300 AD, and then standard Traveller after that tentatively). It's usually me that GM's. Players are one guy and two women...four of us total.
Rob
Rob109
Ontario, NY
Post #: 33
I've never played any of that. What's it like? Is it D20 based?
Frank S.
user 36268472
Rochester, NY
Post #: 43
Neither is based on the D20 system. Savage Worlds is a rather user-friendly game that uses d4, d6, d8, d10, d12, and a "wild" die (d6). Most rolls involve rolling your attribute or skill die (d4 to d12) plus the "wild" die versus a target number (usually 4, but could be higher) -- with either die "maxing" out being re-rolled and added together. If either attribute or skill die, or "wild" die, equals/exceeds target number...you succeed...for ever 4 you make the roll by, additional benefits may happen. Savage Worlds also uses "bennies" which if used, allow for re-rolls or other game effects. Savage Worlds serves as a multi-genre rules set -- horror, fantasy, modern day, western, pulp era, sci-fi, and genre "mashups."

Traveller is Mongoose Publishing's update of the "hard" science fiction classic RPG from the early 1980's. GDW published it from 1977 until the early '90's...other iterations have since come and gone, including a GURPS version. Basically the rules involve rolling 2d6, adding your skill level and attribute modifier, and comparing to a set target number (usually 8 but can be higher based on various situational modifiers). Current campaigns: 1) Standard Traveller Universe (set about 3500 years from now; moderate level of psionics; alien races; fairly advanced civilizations); 2) 2300 AD (set in the year 2300, no psionics, some NPC alien races, some advanced technology); 3) Hammer's Slammers (sci-fi mercenary campaign based on novels of same name); and 4) Babylon 5 (based on the classic TV series from the '90's).smile

Shadowrun is an outside possibility, current group would need some encouragement. For description of that game, see my event writup for the 25th of this month and my forun thread.
Rob
Rob109
Ontario, NY
Post #: 34
Hmm... Could be interesting. I had always kinda wanted to play a "Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court" sort of campaign. What sort of game is the group currently playing?
Frank S.
user 36268472
Rochester, NY
Post #: 44
Right now, as I mentioned, my Sunday group is doing Savage Worlds: Red Sands which is based on the classic Space : 1889 rpg from a little over 20 years ago. It's a sort of Jules Verne-type science-fantasy campaign with intrastellar Aether-flyers, flying ships, steampunk/"Age of Invention", an age of Imperialism and exploration, set in the late 1880's. With Thomas Edison's invention of the Aether flyer in the early 1870's, the major nations of Earth set forth and established colonies on Mercury, Venus (with dinosaurs and primitive lizard-men on a primordial world), the Moon (home of the Selenites, based off an early real-world silent film pre-WWI about a trip to the moon), Mars (home to an ancient, crumbling civilization of native martians -- some friendlies, most not -- on a mostly desert world with some standing water), and some forays into the asteroid belt. Underlying it all is a vast criminal conspiracy out to overthrow and replace current civilizations. Inspirations for this would be the works of Jules Verne, Edgar Rice Burroughs, and some others; "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen;" the Jules Verne inspired TV show from several years ago about the adventures of a young Jules Verne; and several silent-era adventure and sci-fi films that were made between the years of 1910 through the early '30's or so.

Other Savage Worlds Campaigns include: Deadlands Reloaded (western/horror/mad science/wuxia/shamanism/miracles); Sundered Skies (science/fantasy similar to the old D&D campaign set in space), RunePunk (steampunk meets rune-magic), Weird War II (WWII/horror), and many others...

Traveller is a "hard" science fiction rpg with the levels of advanced technology and existence of psionics varying depending on the campaign. Whether you can play aliens is also campaign-dependent.