Sierra Club Rochester ECOs Message Board › Green Movie Series 2011- Film & venue suggestions are welcome!

Green Movie Series 2011- Film & venue suggestions are welcome!

Italia
Xolita
Group Organizer
Auburn Hills, MI
Post #: 1,314
Hello!

During our Green Movies Series we show films with an environmental theme to spread the word about issues that are affecting our world and ways that communities can get involved to make a difference.

We are looking for films and venues (free if possible) to hold these series during 2010. If you have watched or have been recommended a movie that you think would be suitable for these events, please post it here (a link to the trailer/shortcuts would be great!). Make sure it has an environmental theme. All movie suggestions are welcome, although we need to have at least one water related film in each series since our group's main focus is water. However, most environmental problems are interrelated so don't feel shy about making a suggestion. Go for it!

I'll summarize all ideas added to this thread in this first posting. You can select the name of the movie to watch the trailer. THANK YOU!

WATER
Flow: For the Love of Water
Award-winning documentary investigation into what experts label the most important political and environmental issue of the 21st Century - The World Water Crisis. This film builds a case against the growing privatization of the world's dwindling fresh water supply with an unflinching focus on politics, pollution, human rights, and the emergence of a domineering world water cartel. 84 min. Melissa has DVD

Water Front
Discusses the water situation in Highland Park. The Water Front is the story of an American city in crisis but it is not just about water. The story touches on the very essence of our democratic system and is an unnerving indication of what is in store for residents around the world facing their own water struggles. 53 min. Melissa has DVD

After the Storm
This film highlights three case studies where polluted runoff threatens watersheds highly valued for recreation, commercial fisheries and navigation, and drinking water. It also explains simple things people can do to protect their local watershed. 30 min. Melissa has DVD

Liquid Assets
Explores the history, engineering, and political and economic challenges of our water infrastructure, and engages communities in local discussion about public water and wastewater issues. 90 min. Melissa has DVD

ENERGY
Kilowatt Ours
Award-winning film Kilowatt Ours: A Plan to Re-Energize America is a timely, solutions-oriented look at one of America’s most pressing environmental challenges: energy. (Steve had DVD)

Energy Crossroads
This award-winning documentary exposes the problems associated with our energy consumption. It also offers concrete solutions for those who want to educate themselves and be part of the solutions in this decisive era. (Steve had DVD)

Saved by the Sun (PBS Program)
"Saved By the Sun" probes how innovative technologies, new business models, increasing financial incentives, and a growing grassroots commitment to solving the climate crisis are driving a renaissance in solar energy around the world. (Steve had DVD)

Design: e2 - Green for All
A six-part series about international efforts to design and build eco-friendly structures through sustainable architecture. (Steve had DVD)

The 11th Hour
This captivating documentary explores the perilous state of our planet, and the means by which we can change our course. Contributing to this crucial film are noted politicians, scientists and other ambassadors for the importance of a universal ecological consciousness.(Italia/Tiffany had DVD)

Heat
A global investigation into one of the greatest crises that mankind has ever faced - Can we roll back global warming?
Frontline series. Full program lenght: 120 min.

FOOD SAFETY
The Future of Food
This film offers an in-depth investigation into the disturbing truth behind the unlabeled, patented, genetically engineered foods that have quietly filled U.S. grocery store shelves for the past decade.

Italia
Xolita
Group Organizer
Auburn Hills, MI
Post #: 1,315
On Jan 9 Steve wrote:

Some movies that I would like to suggest for a Green Movie series on Energy include: Kilowatt Ours, Energy Crossroads, Saved by the Sun, and E^2(an excellent PBS series addressing energy concerns a 6 -30min clip series. I can provide each of these DVDs for the series.

On Jan 11 Alana wrote:

A great movie to show would be "The 11th Hour." Another good one is a Frontline show called "Heat." Any movie to get the word out is great.

Maybe we could contact the Rochester Post to find out how much it would cost (if anything) to run adds for some of our events? I think we need to focus on informing the public.

Here is an idea for a tableing event (here is the link): http://www.greenstree...­.

Let's have a great year!!

Alana

GREAT suggestions Steve and Alana! Melissa had also recommended previously a water related film called 'Flow: For the Love of Water'. I have heard good reviews about Kilowatt Hours and the 11th Hour. Even though I have the latter in DVD, I haven't watched it yet. I should give it a try! Sorry for starting this thread late and transferring your postings. Please keep those ideas coming!

Regarding the Rochester Post ads, most newspapers will publish events if submitted on time. I have been sending to all local publications a brief summary of our events every time we hold one. Our last Green Movie Series got great promotion in the Oakland Press... yay! There are also online community calendars where I have been posting them. If anybody is interested in helping with promoting our events, please let me know and I'll provide you with the newspapers contact information and on-line community calendars links. It's easy and takes just a little dedication each month. It would help me immensely (one less thing to do in a busy schedule!) THANKS! wink

Melissa D.
mdamaschke
Detroit, MI
Post #: 1
I ordered the movie "Flow," so hopefully I will receive it within the next week or two. I also have the movie, "Water Front," which discusses the water situation in Highland Park. And I have a twenty-minute film, "After the Storm" that discusses stormwater pollution and solutions (including rain gardens, rain barrels, green roofs, etc.). Oh and I forgot that I have "Water Assets." It discusses water infrastructure.
Italia
Xolita
Group Organizer
Auburn Hills, MI
Post #: 1,321
Thanks Melissa! You are really well armed with water films...yay! biggrin St John Fisher has allowed us to hold ine movie screening during the first semester of the year at their parish. They would prefer a short film. Maybe 'After the Storm' would be a good choice, especially since we have suggested to work on a rain garden project with them. They have to get it approved, but seemed very interested in it.
Steve K.
SteveKiluk
Saint Clair Shores, MI
Post #: 12
Kilowatt Ours is a documentary focusing on what impact individual action taken in reducing personal energy usage can have on reducing the environmental impact of our nation's very destructive means of producing electricity. A very inspiring film exhibiting the power of collective individual energy conservation in helping to mitigate our exponentially increasing demand for energy and the havoc that it wreaks upon our planet.

Every step of the electricity generation process is harmful to the environment:

Mining the coal (usually entails mountaintop removal),

Processing of the coal (entails huge toxic slurry ponds which regularly runoff into streams and rivers)

Transporting the coal (Trains and trucks transport coal from far away rural areas where coal is mined and
processed to urban centers where coal-fired powerplants are located)

Burning the coal (releases mercury,lead,and cadmium into the air, as well as incredibly huge amounts of CO2)

Kilowatt Ours Trailer:
http://www.kilowattou...­

Energy Crossroads is a documentary that looks at what can be achieved by increasing energy efficiency, scaling up the use of clean renewable energy and what our prospects look like for mitigating climate change in the near future. This movie ties together the interconnectedness of our economy, energy, and the environment and how our society's priorities for these 3 entities must be reordered.

Energy Crossroads Trailer:
http://www.youtube.co...­

Saved by the Sun is an episode of NOVA looking at what has already been accomplished with solar energy and what developments we can expect in the future. Talks about renewable energy mandates, feed-in tariffs, and the role that government has played in promoting solar technologies abroad and what the United States can learn and implement from these endeavors.

Saved By the Sun Trailer:

E2: Energy is a series of 6 30 minute clips each focusing on a specific issue within the realm of energy

Episode 1: Harvesting the Wind
(Looks at how communities have been developing wind projects on the local level)

Episode 2: Energy for a Developing World
(Discusses appropriate technologies and green business development in the developing world)

Episode 3: Paving the Way
(Discusses the huge impact of automobiles, the layout of our roads, cities and communities and the challenges as well as the oppurtunities they represent for redesigning a lower energy consumption way of life)

Episode 4: Growing Energy
(Addresses biofuels and corn based ethanol production talking about good and the bad of biofuels)

Episode 5: State of Resolve
(Covers the political battle between Clifornia and the Bush administration over the mandates of zero emission vehicles, more stringent state MPG standards than EPA standards and the precedential impacts upon these developments upon future progress in increasing energy efficiency)

Episode 6: Coal & Nuclear: The Problem or the Solution?
(Discusses the problems associated with coal and nuclear as well as the potential for incoporporating them as a bridge, during our trnaisition away from fossil fuels. A very balanced and practical outlook addressing these two issues.

E2 The economies of the environmentally conscious Trailer:
http://www.pbs.org/e2...­
http://www.pbs.org/e2...­

The 11th Hour is an extremely compelling movie with interviews from all kinds of influential people
Here is a link to the trailer:

Heat Trailer:

Flow Trailer:

Waterfront Trailer:
http://www.waterfront...­

After The Storm Trailer:

Liquid Assets Trailer:

The Future of Food Trailer:

Italia
Xolita
Group Organizer
Auburn Hills, MI
Post #: 1,322
Thanks Steve! I had posted the trailers of several of these movies in the first posting (just select the film's name). I'll update the rest wink
Steve K.
SteveKiluk
Saint Clair Shores, MI
Post #: 13
Thanks Italia
Italia
Xolita
Group Organizer
Auburn Hills, MI
Post #: 1,638
Found a great site with a list of environmental movies! biggrin Check it out:

Grinning Planet - Environmental Movies
A former member
The movie about the Rouge River in Detroit is called Ghost Waters
A former member
I may not have the venue - but I have a few environmentally themed movies.

An Inconvenient Truth A documentary on Al Gore's campaign to make the issue of global warming a recognized problem worldwide.

The Cove - In a sleepy lagoon off the coast of Japan, behind a wall of barbed wire and "Keep Out" signs, lies a shocking secret. It is here, under cover of the night, that the fisherman of Tajii engage in an unseen hunt for thousands of dolphins. The nature of the work is so horrifying a few desperate men will stop at nothing to keep it hidden from the world. But when an elite team of activists, filmmakers and free-divers embark on a covert mission to penetrate the cove, they discover that the shocking atrocitities they find there are just the tip of the iceberg.

The Blue Planet Series - Five years in the making, taking a look at the rich tapestry of life in the world's oceans.

I have 6 out of 8 episodes (2 episodes per disc):

Open Ocean - In the immense space of the open ocean the sea bed is a staggering five miles below the surface and the nearest island is over 300 miles away. Yet here live many of the most spectacular predators in the ocean. Marvel as you experience ruthless and beautiful battles between hunter and prey.

The Deep - A place of mountain ranges, perpetual night, pressure extremes and cold . . . and the weirdest life forms on our planet. Dive to the depths of the ocean, an eerie world where predators with teeth so large they can't even close their mouths, chase bioluminescent creatures of the deep. Discover the spectacular smoking chimneys of the hydrothermal vents. Go deeper down than you have ever been . . .

Seasonal Seas - As the days grow longer, billions of microscopic plankton bloom under the blazing sun. Here in the temperate seas, three-ton basking sharks graze among forests of giant kelp - the fastest growing plant in the world. The forests harbor thousands of other animals, including sea otters, brilliantly colored anemones, squid, and exquisite leafy dragons. But as the year wears on, storms rage in the icy sea . . . a desperate challenge for the animals that remain.

Coral Seas - Bathed in bright sunlight and warm, clear water, the coral reef is a rich oasis of life - the rainforest of the sea. Bizarrely adorned harlequin shrimp carry off a starfish several times their size, while haunting songs reverberate around the reef, heralding the arrival of humpback whales. Shimmering schools of brightly colored fish battle for territory in this competitive world where you have to stand out to survive.

Tidal Seas - the sun and moon move billions of tons of water with every turn of the tide. The strongest tides empty entire bays, smash trees on riverbanks, and strand sea creatures on suddenly dry land. Weaker tides control the movements of huge numbers of fish, coaxing schools of giant stingrays through astounding underwater arches. And as the water recedes, the tide can create unbelievable landscapes - like a sparkling world of salt crystals inhabited only by tiny shrimp and bright pink flamingos.

Coasts - From rocky cliffs to gentle dunes, the coasts are always changing. Day in and day out, they are battered by crashing waves. Seabirds come here by the thousands to nest, while baby turtles hatch and race to the sea, pursued by hungry predators. Young sea lion pups are born and play on the sand - until a killer whale attacks, crashing in on the surf. But when breeding season is over, life returns to the sea and the shores are empty once again.

I also have a couple of surf movies. I know they don't really revolve around the environment - they do have some beautiful shots of the ocean.

Step Into Liquid
Thicker Than Water

~Alex~