addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo
Joe M.
user 29987472
Elkridge, MD
Post #: 1
Hello everyone. I am a new rock hound. I have picked up fossils all my life but my interest has seemed to escalate as of late. I am planning several trips next year, to mine for gems in NC, Western MD to poke around in general and to Calvert Cliffs to fossil hunt.

I'm located in Southern MD about 30 minutes from Calvert Cliffs.

Are there any other good places to rock hound in MD? I'd also like to try looking for some gold in the state too. Does anyone know if there is gold in Western MD?

The traffic to get up to the meetings will be horrific for me but I will try for the next one. Look forward to meeting everyone.
paul s.
user 9113885
Frederick, MD
Post #: 1
joe mineral hill mine off md 32 in carroll county is great place for copper sulfide minerals an alot other nice matrial google it westmoreland state park in virginia has a lot of miocene fossils an a pretty spot again google or try wikpeda happy hunting paul senstad
Wayne H.
skipres
Group Organizer
Elkridge, MD
Post #: 31
I've had some recent good luck rockhounding (believe it or not) in Baltimore City!

A Rockhound friend showed me some of his hunting grounds. This one was behind the Rotunda Shopping Center (next to Johns Hopkins) in a stream called Stoney Run.

From where we were, I could see the James Webb telescope building.

I am hoping to take the group there next spring.

Wayne Homens