addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartexportfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo
Wayne H.
skipres
Group Organizer
Elkridge, MD
Post #: 5
Where do you go Rockhounding?[/b]

Rockhounding in Maryland is difficult (at best). Most of Maryland?s open land is owned by the Department of Natural Resources (including the Marylanbd State Parks). Let the group know where you go and what you have found. Here is my story?

The Maryland Park system does not allow removal of ?anything? from the park (except what you bring in). They have made rare exception to this (a butterfly collection was recently allowed).

I sent a letter to Butch Norden of the DNR requesting permission to do some Rockhounding along the Patapsco River (almost all of it is a Maryland State Park". At first, it appeared that they might grant my wish. They asked if I would put together a "specimen" case for them to use in schools and/or the park. Of course I said that I would be happy to.

After (about) a month, I received an email from the DNR. The email said that they had debated this in Annapolis for quite a while and unfortunately decided to decline my request. The reason was that, if they game me permission to collect rocks in the state park then they would have to give paermission to everyone. They were concerned that the natural beauty of the parks and scenic byways would be destroyed by holes, broken rocks, etc.

I am sure that if anyone involved with this decision had been a rock collector and/or a member of a rock club, the decision could have gone a different way. Maybe, as the group grows, we can get this decision reversed (if so I have a few areas to give you).

I will add another post to this discussion to tell you what I have recently been doing. Please help the group out by making a few posts.

I will have important information to registered group members (not posts) coming out shortly. If you are not a member of the group, please sign up. It?s free.

Wayne

a new website is forming for rockhounds!