The Central Maryland Rock and Mineral Collectors Exchange Message Board General Info for the Central Maryland Rock and Mineral Collectors Exchange › Collecting within a few hours drive of Fairfax

Collecting within a few hours drive of Fairfax

John B.
user 109985232
Elkridge, MD
Post #: 1
Does anyone have a good location for collecting within a few hours drive of Fairfax, VA? Thanks!
Grant K.
user 64832142
Severn, MD
Post #: 2
I have found my best stuff along the banks of the Patapsco river, and the banks beds of many of Howard County Maryland's streams and small creeks. Right now in Howard County the smaller streams have dried up and it is a great time to go hunting. You did not say what it is you are looking for. I don't set out to look for anything in particular, because when I find it I know if I want it or not. I have found a lot of great pieces of petrified wood. Just a few months ago I found a 37 pound piece of it in a local park in Howard County creek bed. A few weeks ago I found three smaller pieces on the banks of Patapsco river. One piece is about the size of a dinner plate and about an inch or so thick. I have found some beautiful granite mixed with biotite mixed in. What a beautiful red colored mixture. Keep in mind that most of the river is in a state park, and it is illegal to remove minerals from a state park in Maryland. Also if you are into fossils then Calvert Cliffs is the place to go on the Eastern Shore. It is just about guaranteed that you will find some great stuff over there.
John B.
user 109985232
Elkridge, MD
Post #: 2
Good Morning! Thanks for sharing the information with me. I am an avid rock hound and like to learn as much about the geology and collecting of every place I go. I have collected a lot in pegmatites, but have also collected in the deserts of Arizona and Utah. I have petrified wood from several states, but was not aware of Petrified wood being in Maryland - that sounds interesting. I also cut cabs and facet - so my collection is a combination of specimens and cutting rough. I have been to the Calvert Cliffs and enjoyed collecting there. Can you give me directions to any locations where the park rangers aren't going to be upset with me walking around with a rock pick and backpack? Thanks, John
Grant K.
user 64832142
Severn, MD
Post #: 3
I truly cannot tell you where to go where the rangers are not patrolling. Since our park rangers became Department of Natural resources police officers, they have gotten very busy patrolling just about everywhere. I use a backpack and never use tools except for an Outback steak knife to dig or pry stones out of the dirt or mud. Tools are a dead giveaway for the intent of being there.

John, e-mail me and we will continue this off the list. Nikkosguy@verizon.net. Just incase the feds are monitoring this website's message boards.

Grant