addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartexportfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The Central Maryland Rock and Mineral Collectors Exchange Message Board General Info for the Central Maryland Rock and Mineral Collectors Exchange › Where do we want to go Rockhounding this year?

Where do we want to go Rockhounding this year?

Wayne H.
skipres
Group Organizer
Elkridge, MD
Post #: 32
The new year is upon us. I'd like to start discussions about where we want to go rockhounding for the upcoming spring season (after hunting season but before tick and snake season).

Please reply with your interests to entries on posted destinations as well as adding you own destinations for others to consider. Even if you are not an active member but have info on places in Maryland to rockhound, Please post them here (use Google maps coordinates when possible).
Wayne H.
skipres
Group Organizer
Elkridge, MD
Post #: 33
Stoney Run, 39.334675, -76.624036
. Agate
. Jasper
. Iron Pyrite
. Chalcopyrite
. Gertite
. Granite
. slate
. shale
. gniess
. common opal
. albite
. feldspar
and more

Yes, in Baltimore City you can find cutable Agate and Jasper. Walk along stoney run and break into any rock that you see that has any chalcedony exposed or if it has any pockets. All sorts of cool stuff here (most of it comes from local quarrys as Runoff protection.

Can hunt here any time of year (no hunting but beware of ticks/snakes in warm weather).

A good meeting place is the back parking lot of the Rotunda Mall (stock up with water and munchies - also bathroom break).

How about the first warm Saturday in Jan/Feb (above 55 degrees)?

You can email me directly at wayne@thepc.net.
Wayne H.
skipres
Group Organizer
Elkridge, MD
Post #: 34
Mineral Hill

Internet Directions ? go to www.Google.com Click on Maps - then enter these into the search area -
for the Mine 39.438200 -76.9304000
for the Parking Area 39.437133 -76.9372000 (parking)

MD-46 Mineral Hill Mine parking area N39E 26.281' W76E 56.200'
MD-46 Mineral Hill Mine site N39E 26.228' W76E 55.777'

Best hunting times - (there is no hunting there but there is hunting nearby...) Late winter (on warmer days) through mid Spring (before Ticks and Snakes become active).

Mineral Hill is an abandoned pre-revolutionary war Copper Mine in located in Sykesville Maryland.

This was originally a pre-Revolutionary War iron mine featuring a 2 1/2 foot thick hematite ore vein.

About 1742 John Diggs found and began extracting copper ore. At its peak it employed 100 miners and was owned by Tyson Mining Company, the same firm that owned the Soldier's Delight property in Owings Mills and the Elizabeth Mine in Vermont. Mining, Roughly 200 years later, the Diggs land was owned by Charles Diehl who said he had explored the abandoned mine as far as 600 feet into some of the tunnels.

Today Mineral Hill is abandoned and sealed (by the state of Maryland). The property is now owned by the City of Baltimore Maryland as a Water Resource). So, except for casual collectors like ourselves, you may encounter an occasional hiker or someone walking their dog.

A portion of the Liberty Reservoir washes the banks of the site where the mine dump is located. Minerals associated with Mineral Hill include actinolite, albite, bornite, brochantite, calcite, carrolite, chalcocite, chalcopyrite, chlorite, covellite, epidote, gahnite, gold, hematite, hornblende, ilmenite, limonite, linnaeite, magnetite, malachite, pseudomalachite, pyrite, quartz, siderite, siegenite, sphalerite, talc (lots of talc..) and of course copper and hematite.

The last time that I took a group there, I brought home about 100 lbs of minerals (all were easily collected / mostly right on the surface).

You will need to have sturdy, closed-toe shoes (tennis shoes are okay but hiking shoes are better) a bucket or backpack to collect your treasures in and you might consider some newspaper for wrapping that really great specimen in.

It is easy to collect very interesting rocks here (even if you are not a collector) most of them are on the surface for easy pick up. If you want to get a little more serious, you might want to bring something to dig with or to break open rocks with (if you are breaking open rocks don't forget eye protection - this is essential).

I would recommend the following:

Wearing long pants and a long sleeve shirt (poison ivy, mosquitoes, etc).
Wearing a hat
Sunglasses
Sunscreen
Safety Glasses
Garden Gloves
Garden Trowel
Deet, Off, or some other type of bug repellant (especially Ticks and Mosquitoes)
Bottled Water (please take out what you bring in).
Snack bar(s)/Lunch
Family Radio/Walkie/Talkie (FRS/GMRS) (so that we can stay in touch)
A change of clothes (if you really get into it you?ll probably get real dirty).
$$$ - in case you want to stop for lunch afterwards.

Nice to have but not needed are:

A hammer (rock hammer preferred but can be a regular household hammer)
Pick
Light sledge hammer
Maul hammer
16lb digging pole
Shovel
Crowbar

Remember, what you carry in, you will have to carry out (plus whatever minerals that you collect).

The property is hilly, so be prepared for a good hike. To get to Mineral Hill, get to MD 26 (Liberty Road). Travel on MD 26 until you reach MD 32 in Eldersburg. Turn north and continue until you cross the bridge over the reservoir. Parking is on the right just after the bridge.

My Cell phone is 410-419-2963 if you get lost or just need more information.

This area is kid friendly but does not allow pets. Also no swimming allowed.

Of Special Note - Very Important - This location is open to the public. By attending any field trip you agree to hold harmless the organizer as well as the club. There are lots of sharp rocks, steep inclines and Liberty Lake. You must take full responsibility for your actions and anyone that you chose to bring along with you. This is meant to be a fun day for everyone and an opportunity to learn about Maryland minerals but you are responsible for your safety (as well as those that you may bring with you). Beware: Poison Ivy, Poison Oak, Ticks, Mosquitoes, Sharp rocks, Stickers, Thorns, tree limbs, Critters of all types (including slithering types) people swinging picks and mauls and getting hooked on rocks.

Grant K.
user 64832142
Severn, MD
Post #: 4
You mention the Rotunda mall and Stony Run. There is a Stony Run in AA county. it runs along the RR tracks right by the BWI train station that uses both MARC and Amtrak trains. It's origin is in Severn off of Elberta Drive and it appears to empty into the Patapsco river over where 195 crosses the river. Are these two creeks related or is this just a coincidence?

Grant.
Wayne H.
skipres
Group Organizer
Elkridge, MD
Post #: 35
You mention the Rotunda mall and Stony Run. There is a Stony Run in AA county. it runs along the RR tracks right by the BWI train station that uses both MARC and Amtrak trains. It's origin is in Severn off of Elberta Drive and it appears to empty into the Patapsco river over where 195 crosses the river. Are these two creeks related or is this just a coincidence?

Grant.

I believe that the Stoney Run from north of Baltimore (near Hopkins Space Flight Center) connects up to the Jones Falls and finally empties into the Patapsco, but at the Inner Harbor not in AA County. <WRH>