addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Central Maryland Rock and Mineral Collectors Exchange Message Board General Info for the Central Maryland Rock and Mineral Collectors Exchange › Need help identifying gemstone/rock collected at opal site

Need help identifying gemstone/rock collected at opal site

Beth G.
user 12834482
Elkridge, MD
Post #: 1

While digging for opals in Nevada, I found a red stone with fire in my collection. Could this be red opal?
Steven F.
user 12777485
Elkridge, MD
Post #: 3
do you have a pic?

from my brief search, red (fire) opal is actually fairly frequent in Nevada depending on the area.

here is a reference link to help you get some info
http://www.minerals.n...­

Steve
Beth G.
user 12834482
Elkridge, MD
Post #: 2
do you have a pic?

from my brief search, red (fire) opal is actually fairly frequent in Nevada depending on the area.

here is a reference link to help you get some info
http://www.minerals.n...­

Steve
====================­========================================­===============

Thanks, Steve. I checked out the link. It appears that it could possibly be a precious opal. It not only has fire but also has a play of color. I take a picture and see if I can upload it. By the way, I live in Rockville, MD.
Michael Shongo S.
user 6346438
Dundalk, MD
Post #: 5
Years ago we used to call the kind of opal you found "jelly opal".because of its jelly like appearance.
Steven F.
user 12777485
Elkridge, MD
Post #: 4
Beth,
my pleasure. I actually live in Pennsylvania, but work in Rockville three days a week. I am in town monday thru thursday afternoon normally. I have been researching and exploring many of the local streams to get an idea of what is around here locally. Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Steve