Rocklin/Roseville/Sacramento area Vegetarians/Vegans Message Board › Lacey's Japanese Sweet Potato base ice cream
Sweet Dream Ice Cream (basic)
by Lacey Carlson
Prep Time: 20 minutes (Plus cool down time)
Cook Time: 20-30 minutes (depending on ice cream maker)
Ingredients (1 quart of ice cream)
• 2 C. cooked, peeled Japanese sweet potato (about 1 med), still hot
• 1/4 C. almond butter
• 1/2 C. date paste
• 3/4 tsp uncut stevia, or to taste (or more date paste)
• 2 C. vanilla unsweetened non-dairy milk
• 1/4 tsp salt
• 1 1/2 T. vanilla extract
• 1/2 tsp. xanthan gum
• 1 Tbs shredded coconut (optional, but gives buttery flavor)
• Cook your sweet potato (I recommend roasting [in roasting pan w/o oil] because it will caramelize and become very sweet, but streaming works if you are in a rush/don’t want to heat up the house), and peel of the skin. Right away, while still hot, put potato in a high-powered blender (Vita mix) with the rest of the ingredients. Blend until creamy. If needed, add up to an additional 1/2-cup of milk until you reach a soupy consistency (think paint), and adjust your flavor and sweetness to taste. Refrigerate mixture until completely cooled, and then pour into an ice cream maker, following manufacturer’s instructions. Eat right away, or freeze for later.
Vanilla: Add 1 T. vanilla extract, plus sweetener and vanilla bean paste, powder, or more extract to taste (optional).
Chocolate: Add 1/3-1/2 C. Cocoa powder, depending on how chocolaty you like, plus sweetener to taste.
Coffee: Increase date paste to ¾ cup, and stevia to 1 tsp. Add 2 T. coffee extract and 2 T. ground coffee. Optionally, add cocoa powder for mocha flavor.
Peanut Butter: Use peanut butter in place of almond butter, and/or add 2-3 T. Better than PB and/or 3-4 T. PB2. Also add 1 tsp peanut butter extract, and 2 tsp vanilla extract. (Taste as you go along, adding more of any of the above options until you achieve desired flavor). If desired, add cocoa powder or FOK approved chocolate syrup for peanut butter cup flavor.
Cookie Dough: Use vanilla flavor, adding 1 T. extra coconut (and/or a couple of drops butter extract). In last few minutes of ice cream churning, add chunks of vegan, FOK approved cookie dough (or chickpea cookie dough truffles), or fold in after churning is complete.
Be Creative! Experiment and use your own flavors and mix-ins! Try Fruit, nuts, sauces, vegan marshmallows (for a treat), chocolate chips etc. Have fun with it! No longer is there such a thing as “tasteless, boring, vegan ice cream”!!!
• I used Japanese sweet potato (purple skin, white flesh), due to its thick, creamy texture and sweet, almost banana-like flavor. Yukon Gold or other yellow skinned potatoes would also work, but would be more buttery and less sweet. I would not use regular sweet potato, as they are much softer, or russet/red potatoes, as they are blander and starchy.
• For date paste, simply soak 8-10 dates in water overnight, then puree them with some of the soaking liquid until a nice consistency is reached. Makes about a cup.
• Other nut butters may be used as well, but it may change the flavor. Cashew butter or another neutral tasting butter would be good, whereas peanut butter would give a peanut flavor.