No location was chosen
Friday evening crash at Dana's in Gunnison.
Saturday leave Gunnison at 4:15am. Start the ascent on Wetterhorn around 6am.
After Wetterhorn head back to Lake City for lunch/dinner.
Saturday evening drive up the 4WD road to Nellie Creek TH. Car camp.
Start up Uncompahgre on Sunday at 5am.
It's been raining a lot here steadily the past few days and getting colder - this close to these peaks, I suspect it would be really wet, plus icy up there - not my favorite... we can have the slumber party another time - my place is a good overnight for on the way to peaks over here! :) See you soon!
0 · August 8
I'm not a fan of this forecast. I think we should postpone. Even if we were able to squeeze the hikes in since neither peak is all that long, we would have all day Saturday to kill and a potentially wet Saturday night.
0 · August 8
The forecast seems a bit suspect right now depending on where ya look. For this long of a drive from Denver I would be hesitant to try this trip if storms/rain were forecasted to start before noon. Here are a few links...
1 · August 8
Geez, it is August already? If the weather stays consistent with the past couple weeks we may not want to plan on too much in any one day. Right now the extended forecast for Lake City is the typical 30-40% thunderstorms. My thoughts would be Wetterhorn (and optionally Matterhorn) on Saturday, Uncompahgre early Sunday, and be back in Denver late afternoon. The Nellie Creek TH (for Uncompahgre) has a large parking area that we can probably car camp at, and we can drive up there on Saturday after the first peak. How would ya'll want to do Friday night? I could probably leave south Denver around 3pm on Friday. It is obviously a bit of a drive to the Lake City area. Leaving Denver at 4pm or later would have us finding each other in the dark. We could also see about cramming into a room in Lake City and drive to the TH early morning Saturday? What are your thoughts?
1 · August 5
I'm thinking of driving down Thursday nite to try bagging Redcloud Sunshine + on Friday. Weather may not cooperate, looking like snow and 10-20 degree cooler temps than in previous weekends. I'll give it a try anyway though & will meetup w/ the group @ 2wd TH, then u guys can jump in my 4x4 to get to the 4wd TH, although that doesn't really appear to provide a significant benefit @ Matterhorn Creek (big benefit @ Nellie). Be sure to post/send a msg where & when I should meet u Saturday. Sounds like Matterhorn Creek 6am. [masked] Cheers
0 · August 7
For us heading out from Denver on Friday evening, when is everyone available to leave? I would say no later than 6pm with an early morning on Saturday. I could leave anytime after 4pm. I'll be taking my truck to ensure we have at least one 4WD vehicle.
0 · August 7