WELCOME BLACK THEATER LOVERS
ENJOY BROADWAY, OFF-BROADWAY & REGIONAL THEATER PRODUCTIONS!
Love great theater and film and the possibility of meeting new friends -- then Role Call is the place for you! With this group, there's no need to go to the theater alone. You'll join other theater and movie lovers at a variety of stage and screen productions, particularly those that exemplify Black life and culture and are geared towards Black theater-goers. Whether it's a Broadway or off-Broadway show, a drama, musical, comedy, solo-performance or even an indie or feature film, we've got your tickets so there's no need to stand in the TKTS line! Join Role Call -- The Ticket to Black Theater!
NOTE: An actual facial photo of yourself (no images, flowers, caricatures) is needed to join the group.
A Few Broadway Shows We've Enjoyed!
• Holler If Ya Hear Me inspired by the music of Tupac Shakur!
• A Raisin In The Sun starring Denzel Washington!
• The Trip to Bountiful starring Cicely Tyson, Vanessa Williams, Cuba Gooding, Jr., and Condola Rashad!
• The Mountaintop starring Samuel L. Jackson & Angela Bassett!
• Baby It's You based on the recording group, The Shirelle's!
• The Scottsboro Boys starring Colman Domingo!
• August Wilson's Fences w/Denzel Washington & Viola Davis!
• Race starring Kerry Washington & David Alan Grier!
• Fela starring Lillias White!
• In The Heights by Lin-Manuel Miranda!
A Few Off-Broadway Shows We've Enjoyed!
• Stick Fly by Lydia Diamond!
• By The Way, Meet Vera Stark by Lynn Nottage!
• Ruined by Lynn Nottage! (Winner of Pulitzer Prize)
• On The Levee by Marcus Gardley!
• The First Breeze of Summer starring Leslie Uggams!
• The Wiz starring Ashanti!
• To Kill A Mockingbird !
• Broke-ology by Nathan Louis Jackson, starring Wendell Pierce!
A Few Regional Productions We've Enjoyed!
• Letters From Zora Neale Hurston (New Brunswick, NJ)
• Eclipsed by Danai Gurari (Princeton, NJ)
• Fetch Clay, Make Man by Will Powers (Princeton, NJ)
• Intimate Apparel by Lynn Nottage (Red Bank, NJ)
A Few Films We've Enjoyed!
• Precious based on the book Push w/Monique!
• The Secret Life of Bees starring Jennifer Hudson, Alicia Keys & Queen Latifah
• Good Hair by Chris Rock!
• Cadillac Records starring Beyonce!
• The Soloist starring Jamie Foxx!
• Miracle at St. Anna by Spike Lee!
A Few Plays We've Read & Discussed!
(Our Book Discussions for Plays)
• Doubt by John Patrick Shanley!
• Blues for An Alabama Sky by Pearl Cleage!
• Stick Fly by Lydia Diamond!
A Few Comments From Our Members!
• Darice on In the Heights!
"Of all of the plays we've seen, this was my absolute favorite!! The music was fantastic, the messages were uplifting and overall theme of community, family and unity was universally applicable to all of us. I left the theater uplifted and inspired."
• Sharon on Broke-ology!
"I thoroughly enjoyed this play. It brought to light the subject of aging and illness and how it affects the family structure. I thought it was nice to delve into the life of african american men who are struggling to have their own lives while dealing with the illness of their father. It was funny, poignant, thought provoking."
Role Call Members with actresses at St. Luke's Theatre
Event: Sistas The Musical w/Pre & Post Show Exclusives
Role Call Members at Atlanta Marriott Buckhead Hotel
Event: City by Day, Theater by Night Weekend in Atlanta!
Role Call Members at National Black Theater
Event: Hattie What I Need You To Know
Join The Role Call Theater Group!
*Post-Theater Meal Discussions*
I love post-show discussions with this group of theatre lovers! Conversation is lively and insightful. I always learn a lot. It's a wonderful way to enjoy and share the theatre experience. -- Naima
I have found that even a play that seems disappointing is ripe for a good exchange of opinions and commentary. This group is great at picking apart all the details and subtleties. -- Sandra
*Road Trips to Regional Theaters*
Once again, the road trip was wonderful. We had a great time. The play was excellent. I saw Ben Vereen in a new light. The play left us with a lot to discuss for it speaks of the psychic dualism of the African-American. I came from the play and dinner discussion enlightened and ready to do some research. -- Charisse
I felt like I was going on a field trip, something I haven’t done in so long. The road trip was awesome. The play was excellent. The other thing that was great was the connection and the discussion that we had. -- Carolyn
* Weekend Theater Retreats*
The Atlanta trip was wonderful. No detail was overlooked, from the beautifully coordinated welcome packet with copies of the script, to the locations for the cultural tour, the dinner and finally the play which was insightful, funny, and totally enjoyable. Can't wait to do this again! -- Phyllis
A wonderful restorative experience. I left feeling totally rejuvenated! The play allowed us to laugh at issues we are all familiar with while the city tour provided time for reflection on our culture. I was moved and healed. Well done. -- Rene
*Book Discussions for Plays*
I liked the play a lot and I thoroughly enjoyed the discussion over brunch. I came away with a deeper understanding of the themes, the characters and issues in the play that are relevant today. I feel encouraged to read more plays - and that's a good thing. -- Naima
I loved it. This was a great discussion! We thoroughly discussed this play from top to bottom. Everyone had so many different opinions and I enjoyed hearing them all. This play touched on social issues that are still quite relevant in today's society. Would love to have seen this production on stage, but I'm very happy to have read and discussed it with such informed readers. Looking forward to doing it again! -- Pat
*Theater Lover Brunches*
I love brunch! It is the best social meal you can have. I so enjoyed having brunch with the ladies from this group. Especially the get-to-know-you ice breaker that we played. Good food, good laughs and great company to enjoy it all. -- Aicha
Great group of folks; had a great time! Gave a great table talk activity to soften the mood. I look forward to attending many meetups with them in the future. -- Sandy
*Informative Role Call Brochures*
The organizer distributed a handout about the play & detailing upcoming events and made sure to introduce everyone. Very professionally run! -- Robyn
The wonderful brochure provided even more insight to the play. It really enhanced the overall experience. I look forward to attending many more events with this group. -- Marnita
1,163 music explorers
1,256 Very Cool People!
716 Beautiful Brown Girls
5,907 NYTheater Lovers