About the Ride Series: This is a training series for the cyclist who has good biking experience but is newer to road cycling (riding distance, rolling hills, climbing) and wants to take their skills to the next level. This series is not for the person who wants a slow and easy recreational ride.
Distances will vary between 30-45 miles. Pace will be 14-16 mph. We will be riding on rural country roads. Expect trucks and traffic, rolling hills, and climbing. We will learn by doing and sharing riding tips and techniques with one another. We are friendly and welcoming but please come ready to workout and challenge yourself.
Fuel for the Ride: Rides are likely to last 3-4 hours. Be sure to bring both water and snacks, especially since we are riding through the lunch hour.
The Route: Routes will vary and increase in difficulty over time. Check the Comments section for ride postings each week.
Ride Leaders: Carolyn, Eric, Paul J, and Vest. [masked]
Weather Policy: This ride will only cancel for heavy rain. Light showers are no big deal. Cancellations will be posted 2 hours before ride start time.
• Helmets must be worn at all times while riding. This is a requirement for all NW Butts on Bikes rides. This is one of the basic (and simple) ways we protect ourselves from injury. Please don't forget your helmet!
• Bring a right-size spare tube. If you get a flat, we can probably help, but you need to supply the tube!
• Your bike must be in good working order. If you're not sure, stop by a local bike shop and ask a mechanic to look it over for safety and basic ride-ability
• Cell phone - never go on a ride without one!
• No ear buds please
• Sun/riding glasses (protection yourself from the sun and little flying bugs that can wreck your vision in an instant!)
• Water: Bring some!
Restrooms: Two options nearby: the dog park across the street from our starting point has a porta potty. Also, Longbottom Coffee (on NW 235 Ave)
Pace and Terrain: See above
Ride Difficulty Scale For Road Rides: B-C and 2-4
Flatland Windless Cruising Pace
· A 12 & Under
· B 13-14 MPH
· C 15-16 MPH
· D 17-18 MPH
· E 19-20 MPH
· F 21-23 MPH
· 1 = Flat
· 2 = Flat/Rolling
· 3 = Rolling
· 4 = Rolling / Hilly
· 5 = Hilly
· 6 = Hilly Mountainous
· 7= Mountainous