Please note the later than usual start time - 10:30 AM!
About the Ride: We are going to revisit North Portland, only this time venture out and about on residential roads, bikeways, bike lanes, and a wee bit of a multi-use path. The route is 17 miles and will highlight some of the beautiful parks throughout N.P., including, but not limited to:
• Gammon Park (and its Tricycle Race Track!)
• Columbia Park
• McCoy Park
• Cathedral Park
Volunteers needed! - It would be nice if four people would volunteer, each taking one park to research, and then prepare to share some interesting tidbits about it during our ride. If you are interested, please sign up in the Comments Section (look for my Volunteer request and then reply to that comment).
Since we are riding in town (lots of stops/starts), expect the ride to take a little longer. My guess is 3-4 hours. Be sure to bring a light lunch or snacks to keep your energy up.
• Ensure your bike is in safe and good-working order before the ride. Even if it was working fine a year ago, if this is your first ride in a long time, take it to a bike shop and ask for a quick safety/operation check. This is usually free, takes just a few minutes, and helps us avoid mechanical issues on group rides.
• Helmets must be worn at all times while riding. This is a requirement for all NW Butts on Bikes rides. This is one of the basic (and simple) ways we protect ourselves from injury. Please don't forget your helmet!
• Bring a right-size spare tube. If you get a flat, we can probably help, but you need to supply the tube!
• Cell phone Never go on a ride without one!
• No ear buds please
• riding/cycling gloves helps keep a good grip in spite of perspiration; protects your hands from blistering, and protects your skin in the unlikely event of a fall.
• sun/riding glasses (protection yourself from the sun and little flying bugs that can wreck your vision in an instant!)
Restrooms: Yes, at the start
Ride Leaders: Carolyn [masked] Sweepers: Chelsey & Trudy
Pace and Terrain: This is a beginner ride with an easy pace of 10-14 mph. This is a comfortable riding speed for newer cyclists and beginners. It is relatively flat on paved roads in NE Portland. We will cross a few busy streets, making use of traffic signals. Using the scale below, I would rate as B1. For more information, go to www.RideLikeAGirlPortland.com.
Ride Difficulty Scale For Road Rides
Weather Policy: This ride will only cancel for heavy rain. Light showers are no big deal, especially for such a short ride. Consider wearing a light wind breaker type jacket if showers are in the forecast. (I can't tell you how many times that days with showers in the forecast turned out to be dry and beautiful.)
Ride Like A Girl is a subgroup of Northwest Butts on Bikes Meetup group. It is a beginner cycling group for women who want to improve their cycling and bike safety skills. For more information contact [masked] or go to www.RideLikeAGirlPortland.com