Mar 2, 2013 · 8:00 AM
This location is shown only to members
We've survived the Austin Marathon and Half Marathon, and we're back!
This training session is required to participate in the RuffTail Runners program. You only have to attend once, and it should take an hour and a half, not including the time you might spend running with a dog (or two. or three.).
Here's how this will work:
- RSVP to this MeetUp.
- You'll be required to pay a fee of $10 (more on this below).
- We'll close the RSVPs at 10:00pm on Thursday, 2/28.
- On Thursday night, we'll email everyone that RSVP'ed a password and a link that they can use to register and sign the online waiver. Please get this done by 5:00pm on Friday afternoon. Your MeetUp RSVP is NOT your registration!
- Show up on time!
- Bring your ID and cell phone!
Please consider carefully before participating in the program. We have trained well over 1,200 people, but a very small percentage of those trained participate on any regular basis. We really need to focus the training on people who will participate on a continuing basis. If you are looking to train a group, or are looking to meet required service hours for a student group or other reasons, please consider other needs Austin Pets Alive! has for volunteers.
A few notes:
- Don't bring your own dog. Or monkey. Actually, monkeys riding dogs are always funny.
- If you can't make it to this training session, please be patient. As soon as another training session is scheduled, it will be posted on MeetUp, which will send you an email. If it's not posted, we don't yet know when it will be.
- MeetUp's waiting list function is no bueno. It is not first-come, first-served, but it's a free-for-all. Unfortunately, there's not much we can do about this. Please note that a LOT of people want in. While this is great, there are always people that want an exception made just for them, or proclaim that they'll just show up. I'm sorry, if nothing else, we're going to be as fair as possible about this. We usually have training sessions every couple of weeks, so just be patient, and stay tuned.
- Children are welcome, though they must be 16 or older to hold a leash, and 18 or older to participate alone. If they're participating, they must RSVP and register (parent or guardian will e-sign the registration for a minor). Children just accompanying an adult do not need to RSVP or register.
- You can bring your own leash, but not your own dog.
- Yes, 8:00am is early. That is Lindsay's fault.
Why the fee? We hope the fee will bring in people who really want this and will actually show up, and who will make this something of an ongoing commitment. The Austin Humane Society charges $35, so this is not unprecedented. The fee will be used to promote the program, buy adopt-me vests and leashes, etc., and some of it will be donated to other animal charities.
Once you've gone through the training, you'll be able to run with the dogs. You can even run with the dogs that day, weather permitting, so come ready to run!