San Antonio Board Gamers Message Board › I've heard it said.....and I want to know why?

I've heard it said.....and I want to know why?

stoneart69
user 10798616
San Antonio, TX
Post #: 280
Why would someone not want to go to the gaming utopia that is Gamelot? The Gamelot Thursday night game group has been growing larger and larger and been at Gamelot for years, it has plenty of space, and management even gives us a Thursday night discount on Boardgames which is more than we get at other locations. I urge you to give Gamelot a second chance, and support your local FLGS and come meet some of the gamers who you normally won't see at Monday Nights. I love Gamelot, Cliff (the owner) has always been cordial to me, even though he rarely comes to the store anymore. Maureen goes out of her way to make sure we feel welcome. When I was down on my luck Cliff even helped me out with a job. So when people say they won't game there, it rubs me the wrong way.
Anne F.
Riska
Group Organizer
San Antonio, TX
Post #: 95
Personally, when I am able to go on Thursday nights, I am not pleased with the selection there. Sure, being able to order stuff there or getting discounts is great, but I support a local game store because it has what I want available. They seem to cater to a different gamer than myself. I like the atmosphere and selection at DL better. It is well lit, and the selection is pretty fantastic. DL happens to be more convenient for me after work.

I think it is great that Cliff has been a real mensch to you, but when faced with a choice of the two locations I prefer the DL.
Ben S.
user 13621022
San Antonio, TX
Post #: 5
Their selection of games doesn't compare with DL, but it has been getting better. It won't ever compare with DL if boardgamers don't go there though. As far as catering to a different type of gamer, they are getting better at that as well. I used to see it as a miniatures place, but I haven't seen anyone playing miniature games there since the GW store opened. Yes, there are a lot of CCG players that frequent the store, but not on Thursday nights. It's pretty much all board gamers on Thursdays, usually about 15-20 from our group and as well as another 8 that aren't members of SABG. My biggest complaints about Gamelot are that it isn't that well lit in the main area, it kind of feels like a cave, and that their clientele doesn't seem as mature as that at DL. But at least there is space to play games at Gamelot; at DL we're crammed in there like sardines, there isn't any way for the group to grow there. That said, I'm glad that we have options and that we have two places that welcome us to play games.