SANTA BARBARA SPANISH CLUB Message Board › Spanish Learning Methods/ Movie Recommendations

Spanish Learning Methods/ Movie Recommendations

Julia
user 14347080
Santa Barbara, CA
Post #: 2
Buenas Dias!,

As I work on continuing to learn spanish, I have approached different methods and would like to share some ideas for those of you interested, also hopefully receive some feedback.

First I scheduled a trip to Guatemala, and started watching Spanish movies with english subtitles.

Then I began traveling Central America forcing myself to learn by speaking with locals and I also attended Spanish language Schools in Guatemala and Nicaragua. In each country I visited, I tried to find a book that would include the local culture or be known well in that particular country. I ended up with a few Cuentos por niños books along with some others, and plan to use these books to study.

Now that I am back, I have found a one-on-one online spanish school on skype to continue learning with a teacher and have regular practice. I have found this meet-up group :-) Started into my spanish books. And been watching as many spanish movies as I can (with english subtitles), or if I must watch a movie in English I put subtitles in Spanish. Also, found some spanish music to listen to.

If anybody has some tips/advice for me that would be great! Also I would love to get recommendations on additional movies, some books, and definitely need some music.

Favorite spanish movies: Listed in no particular order.

Sin Nombre,
Voces Inocentes,
Diarios de Motocicleta,
Mar Adentro,
La misma Luna,
Stranded I've come from a plane that crashed on the mountains.

Also recommended to me were:

Crimen del Padre Amaro,
Jamon Jamon,
Volver,
Abre los ojos,
Lucia y el Sexo,
El Orfanato,
El espinazo del diablo,
Tinta Roja.

I have others that are about the war in Nicaragua if anyone is interested in those titles.

Hope to hear back from some of you!

Hasta Luego!

Julia

Bob K.
user 8065907
Santa Barbara, CA
Post #: 2
I like using language exchange websites now and then to find online conversation partners. I just tried a new one today - verbling.com and had several enjoyable conversations - two with people in Spain, one from Mexico and one from Argentina. Livemocha is another site, that has been around for about five years.
A former member
Post #: 4
I also like watching Spanish language movies, for the language and also there have been so many really good movies from Spanish-speaking countries. I've seen some on your list and will look up the ones I haven't. A few others I've really enjoyed that come to mind include

Maria Eres Llena de Gracia (Colombia)
Todo Sobre mi Madre (Spain)
Adios Momo (Uruguay)
AzulOscuroCasiNegro (Spain)

Tonight (Monday the 9th) I'm planning to see a film from Guatemala called Granito, part of the UCSB Human Rights Film Festival.

Thanks also for the tip on Verbling.
A former member
Post #: 5
Quiero decir al grupo, la pelicula que ví anoche, se llama "Granito," sobre la guerra civil de Guatemala y el esfuerzo por traer ante la justicia a los responsables de las atrocidades, fue muy interesante.