SE Wisconsin Writers Group Message Board › B&N Author's Day notes

B&N Author's Day notes

Jerry K.
WeddingsbyJerry
Racine, WI
This is a small collection of notes I gathered from Barnes and Noble's last Authors day... for those who attended, please feel free to add your own. My apologies for the short descriptions, they were typed on a tablet during the event.

iri.com ... independent writers loop.  Editing resource

authorcentral.com for author bios and info

querytrackers.com . Looking for an agent and tracks queries.

nathanbransford.com  author resourse site.

Donald Maas . Writing the breakout novel book and workbook
Mary LeMieux M.
user 90679602
Silver Lake, WI
Post #: 1
Just thought I could add a bit more to a few of these sites as I'm familiar with them. Authorcentral is just something every author on Amazon has access to. If you click an author's name under the title of the book, it will take you to that author's page. (the name is a blue link). An author can add a bio, a RSS feed from a blog, a Twitter feed, etc. There is also a place for readers and the author to interact on a message board. However, it doesn't send the author a notification if a reader comments, so the author might not notice for months.

Querytracker is a great site for those looking to query agents. You can make a free account, and narrow down the list of agents to query based on genre. There is also a place to keep track of which agents you've queried and what the response was. What is nice is that on each agents listing, there is a place where users of the site can post comments, such as 'received a request for a partial'. Or, '90 days, no reply, marked as not interested.'

There is also a forum associated with the site where you can interact with other writers.

Nathanbransford.com I've followed Nathan's blog for about four years now. He used to be an agent with Curtis Brown but he left agenting over a year ago. He still blogs, but he doesn't have as much of an inside track as he used to. Still, he's a nice guy--and was one of the good agents (even though he rejected me!tongue His blog has a pretty active comment section and he has a nice forum connected to it. I used to hangout there a little bit a few years ago.

Also, Nathan is an author of a book for tweens called Jacob Wonderbar. It was a moderate success, but nothing huge. He is actually going to self-publish his next book.