This is the first one of our Summer BBQ Series. Each month from May to August we will have one BBQ event at a different location:
May – Gas Works Park
June – Golden Gardens Park
July – Alki Beach Park
August – Madrona Park (on a Blue Angels performance day, you will have the front row seats !)
This first event will be from 1pm to 5pm at the Gas Works Park in Seattle.
Here is a little history of Gas Works Park:
This 20 acre point on Lake Union was cleared in 1906 to construct a plant to manufacture gas from coal - later converted to crude oil. Import of natural gas in the 1950's made the plant obsolete. The city acquired the site and the park was opened to the public in 1975. The boiler house has been converted to a picnic shelter with tables, fire grills and an open area. The former exhauster-compressor building, now a children's play barn, features a maze of brightly painted machinery.
Friends and family are welcome to the event, and it is highly appreciated if you can bring extra supplies of BBQ items, e.g. plates, cups, utensils, napkins, coolers, food…
Please tell us what you plan on bringing when you RSVP.
There will be a cover charge of $8 (cash), and net proceedings will be benefiting Clothes for Kids.
- BBQ starts at 1pm but we will be there from 12:30pm to set up, you are very welcome to be there early and give us a hand.
- We have reserved tables #1 and 2 at the BBQ area under the boiler house (near the bathrooms) and there will be signs saying that the tables and grill are reserved for Meetup event.
- Sign in with the event hosts and get your wristband.
- There will be all you can eat food and drinks!!!
- And don’t forget to bring cash for the cover charge; it is to cover the costs of food & beverages, rental and other expenses.
This event is cross posted with other groups.
* We need volunteers! Anyone would like to help out please get in touch with me*