addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

SF Bay Area Classic Films Message Board › Noteworthy November programs @ Stanford

Noteworthy November programs @ Stanford

Russ
russito
Group Organizer
San Mateo, CA
Hi, Classic Film Fans!

I wanted to call your attention to a couple of upcoming programs at the Stanford Theatre that will be worth catching, this month. Because of some prior commitments, I won't be able to host these, but wanted to let you know. Naturally, if anyone would like to volunteer to host, I'd be happy for you to do so, and I'll set you up -- just send me an email!

Nov. 17-18 (Sat.-Sun.): Back Street (1941) and Shadow of A Doubt (1943)
The former is a classic, tearjerker, romantic melodrama with Charles Boyer and Margaret Sullavan, while the second is Hitchcock's first thriller to feature a full-blown psychopath as the villain -- all set against the bucolic, small town world of post-WWII Santa Rosa, CA...

Nov. 24-25 (Sat.-Sun.): The Suspect (1945) and Phantom Lady (1944)
A pair of crime melodramas from a master of such genre films: Robert Siodmak (The Sprial Staircase, The Killers, Criss Cross, Cry of the City, etc.)
Steve A.
user 9999953
Citrus Heights, CA
Post #: 7
Lots of classic movie/Hitchcock fans know "Shadow of a Doubt," but since it's relatively unknown to modern audiences (compared with other Hitchcock movies) I wanted to recommend it. My personal favorite Hitchcock movies are, in no particular order, "Rear Window," "Vertigo," "Psycho," and "Notorious," but "Shadow of a Doubt" (and maybe "Strangers on a Train") is really close. (I guess "Spellbound," "North by Northwest," and "The Birds" follow close on the heels after that.) LOVE LOVE LOVE both Teresa Wright and Joseph Cotten in this, and Patricia Collinge as the mother is wonderful as well. And then there's that odd duck friend (Catherine?) of young Charlie's that shows up in a few scenes. So don't miss it if you can make it; wish I lived closer, I'd be there!
Russ
russito
Group Organizer
San Mateo, CA
Post #: 201
Thanks, Steve. Sorry your can't join us more frequently, but maybe we'll see you sometime soon.
Russ
russito
Group Organizer
San Mateo, CA
Post #: 203
From the SF Chronicle, about this weekend's program (Nov. 24-25):

"Robert Siodmak double feature: The German-born noir director was entering his great period with "Phantom Lady" (1944) and "The Suspect" (also '44), both with the lovely Ella Raines. Saturday and Sunday at the Stanford Theatre, 221 University Ave., Palo Alto. (650) 324-3700. www.stanfordtheatre.org."­