Sean S.
user 13210402
Berkeley, CA
Post #: 4
I see that this group is not super active but I will try to post this question and see what comes up.

I just finished a coop and enclosed run, ordered some nipples for water. Now I need some feed and some young hens.

I live in Richmond, East Bay and wonder where is a good place to go for hens (or chicks) and feed.

Sean

One last thought... raccoon. I remember as a kid in the Berkeley hills coming out in the morning to find feathers from our missing chickens. I hope that my use of moderate/light staples every 3" is sufficient to secure the chicken wire to hold the fort...I guess I will just have to try and see.
Anne M.
user 11212969
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 35
I highly encourage you to rescue hens! Animal Place has a lot of hens for adoption from the factory farm rescue this spring where the Turlock farmer walked away from his egg farm and left the hens to starve. There are hundreds of hens from this rescue who are now healthy and happy and looking for homes! You can either adopt hens from this rescue through Animal Place (http://animalplace.or...­) or Marin Humane Society (http://www.marinhuman...­) or Sonoma Humane Society (https://www.facebook....­. You can check the Contra Costa County shelters (Martinez & Pinole) - I'm sure they also get in hens from time to time, as the Oakland Shelter, Hayward, and Fremont shelters are constantly getting chickens.
Harold C.
HaroldC
Group Organizer
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 20
Anne, for feed and chickens, I usually go to Western Farm in Santa Rosa. I've been buying from them since I got my first chicks from them in 1975.
Another choice for food, somewhat closer to you, is Powell Bros. Feed and Pet Supply in Vallejo at 1895 Broadway Street. I get some wild bird seed for my feeder and chicken food when I go there.
Re: one last thought, do you have a door on your chicken coop? If not, that might be a good idea since raccoons can and will rip open a chicken wire enclosure if they are hungry enough. If your coop is strong enough (I hope it is), then close the door in the evening after they've gone to bed and open it in the morning and the chickens will be very happy to see you. Or check out the automated door opener discussion I create some time ago.
karen
user 9647739
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 8
The School Farm in SF is selling chickens I think, the Half Moon Bay feed store too has chicks and I rescued a chicken. I don't know about light staples, we made our coop really strong so we wouldn't come out to any dead animals. My friend in SF had a raccoon attempt to snatch a chicken through a hole, a bloody mess. They went to HMB feed store to replace the poor thing.
swimmy44
Swimmy44
Oakland, CA
Post #: 31
MIKES FEED IN SAN LEANDRO HAS CHICKS AND THEY ARE $1 LESS THAN SOME OTHER PLACES.
swimmy44
Swimmy44
Oakland, CA
Post #: 32
AND YOU NEED TO MAKE YOUR COOP A FORTRESS. DETERMINED VARMINTS CAN RIP THROUGH LIGHT WIRE AND STAPLES.
A former member
Post #: 13
Head to Biofuel Oasis on Ashby @ Sacramento, they have chicks and feed and what you need. And more. Good people. (Call ahead, I think they take orders for chicks)

Also, use hardware cloth with 1/2" holes, not chicken wire which predators can penetrate.