SF Pet Chicken Meetup Group Message Board › My Chickens got eaten by a raccoon

My Chickens got eaten by a raccoon

Harold C.
HaroldC
Group Organizer
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 25
Raccoon attack this morning after the automated door opened at 6 am. One of them had enough time to lay an egg before the end of her life, bless her soul.
Does anyone have any extra chickens to spare, or know anyone who has some?
gina
GinanScott
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 9
Hi Harold--I'm so sorry. We live just around the corner on Levant and we have to be super careful with our chickens because of the raccoons and skunks. We have friends who live out of the city and need to find a new home for their chickens. There are six--I'm sure they would be happy to split them up. Can I put them in touch with them? Gina
Harold C.
HaroldC
Group Organizer
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 26
Gina, we are at 255 States Street, phone 861-6043, email Harold@States-Street.com. Please tell your friends we are interested. Do you know what breed they have?
gina
GinanScott
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 10
Harold--we are texting them this evening to find out what breed they are. I will let you know and pass along your info so hopefully this can happen. They just had another child and can't handle the chickens at this point in their life. Gina
carmine
user 5251645
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 1
Sorry to hear that awful news. We are always in constant fear of that situation.
swimmy44
Swimmy44
Oakland, CA
Post #: 34
Sorry to hear about the raccoon attack. The California raccoons are HUGE and there are plenty of them. Fortunately, none in my back yard YET but you never know. It's wonderful to have an automated door BUT you need to have it go on and off at dusk and daylight - if you get more chickens, in winter, have the door open at 7 am not 6 am. Dark is a little more tricky since some chickens roost earlier than others and some are reluctant to go inside at all. If you have electricity in your coop to run a door, consider lights since they need 14 hours of daylight to continue laying eggs in the winter. If you do put in lights, they will enter the coop as soon as they go on and that's when you can set the automatic door. I will have chickens in the spring to re-home as we are planning extensive travel post retirement - and my neighbors love the eggs but no one I know is interested in taking extended care of chickens in my neck of the woods over here in Oakland! Good luck!
Harold C.
HaroldC
Group Organizer
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 27
Swimmy, I have a light in the chicken coop connected to the door which goes on with the electricity, so it'a actually on all night. And you are right, I should have changed the door opening to later than 6 pm but since it's been on that schedule for about 20 years I didn't think of it. Who knew that the latest generation of raccoons don't abide by the night time schedule of their ancestors.
We are hoping that Gina's friends can supply our needed replacements, but if nothing comes our way before the spring I'll definately contact you.
swimmy44
Swimmy44
Oakland, CA
Post #: 35
Door opening - later than 6 am correct? Also, you actually don't want the light on all night because the birds will be stressed and need their rest - a timer works better - a total of 14 hours from pre dawn to around 9 pm. The problem with predators is once they get a chicken they will keep on coming until you kill them which is not so easy in San Francisco - you can put out a Hav-a-heart trap and relocate them far away from the neighborhood.
gina
GinanScott
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 11
Hi Harold--sorry this is taking so long. One is a Delaware, one is a Bantam Cochin, and one is a Polish. He can't remember what the other three are so he is taking a pix so we can identify them. They are at least two years old according to my husband, but he is getting back to Craig (the chicken person) hopefully today so we can let you know what the remaining three are!
gina
GinanScott
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 12
Harold:
Still waiting for a photo of the remaining three. I'm starting to think these friends aren't in such a hurry to rehome their chickens! Gina