SF Pet Chicken Meetup Group Message Board › Pet Chicken allowed in Daly City area?

Pet Chicken allowed in Daly City area?

Giovanni
user 6651494
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 1
Hi,

I've heard conflicting information and thought that fellow chicken enthusiasts would be a good group to ask. I technically don't live in Daly City, its Broadmore Village, unincorporated Colma. Its right by Westlake Daly City. We have larger back yards and a lot more free space here than SF. I had two pet chickens before and they loved it in my back yard. My dog actually took care of them and they all slept together. Very cute. Well, the chickens had to pay the dog for the personal protection in the form of eggs. They lived a long time before passing away of old age. This was a few years ago. I miss having chickens and want to get a couple again.

Does anyone know about the laws for having a pet chicken, here? One of my neighbors is very anti-animal, and likes to complain about everything possible, so before I get them again, I am trying to research if its legal for me. I'm having hard time finding out exactly. This video here is pretty similar to my experience: http://www.youtube.co...­

Thanks,
Gio

karen
user 9647739
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 3
Gio,
I got good help from eco-sf, google that and it is a nice website about SF but the two people know alot and may know about Daly City if you don't get any other help. Hope it works out. Karen
Giovanni
user 6651494
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 2
I finally was able to track down someone at the san mateo county building dept. who would inform me about the legality of keeping two pet chickens here in Unincorporated Colma (Broadmoor).

I was told that chickens were not considered domestic animals (ironic when you consider the fact chicken were domesticated over 10,000 years ago (Vietnam, I believe). Anyway, its not legal for me to have a pet chicken, and if I do I run the risk of the chicken being impounded. I guess to have a pet chicken, I'd have to move to a more urban area with a smaller back yard in San Francisco, another irony. I did ask about the logic concerning this and other cities allowing it and they suggested I contact my assembly person to get that law changed. So that is why I'm here, hoping to connect with others have have experience getting more enlightened pro-chicken laws on the books.

I found the assembly person for the county of san mateo that represents my area, and her name is:

Adrienne Tissier
5th District
(650) 363-4572
atissier@co.sanmateo.ca.us Fifth District:
Incorporated: Brisbane, Colma, Daly City, South San Francisco (west of El Camino Real)
Unincorporated: Broadmoor, Country Club Park

My plan is to write her an email and then call, but if anyone has any suggestions about the best way to get this processes started, I'b be (and chickens would be) grateful.

-Gio

P.S. I did send an email to the sf-eco group way back, but never got a reply, so they may not be that active anymore, or just busy.
Mary
user 9163133
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 15
I don't know if this will help, but there's a woman named Dawn who owns Ranch Hag Hens in Petaluma. She has a blog on her website. I seem to recall something about getting chickens legalized in different cities. She might be someone who promotes or helps promote or has some information on how to go about it. I'm not sure, but it's worth a try. They're closed right now, but you might be able to email. Just Google Ranch Hag Hens and check out her blog. I do know there's quite a movement to legalize chickens in all sorts of places. If you can connect up with someone active in the cause you might find some good advice, experience or help. Good luck!!! That really is so strange, but typical that you can't own chickens in a more rural area but you can in SF. How bizaar.
Let us know what happens.
Courtney
user 9026668
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 11
Hi Gio,
In reading San Mateo county ordinance, San Mateo Animal Control is allowed to charge a $5 adoption fee for chickens. Chickens aren't otherwise specifically mentioned in the San Mateo County Ordinance. Are there any covenants, conditions and restrictions (CC&Rs) for Broadmoor? If there aren't specific restrictions, the San Mateo County ordinances would then be your guide.
http://municipalcodes...­