addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo
A former member
Post #: 46
A former member
Post #: 47
Huh, interesting! Nobody takes their chickens to the vet?
gina
GinanScott
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 7
I haven't yet, but was thinking I should post the same question. I realized if we had an emergency we have good friend who is a vet but not sure they treat chickens. If anyone has a recommendation I would welcome it as well.

Gina
A former member
Post #: 6
there's a avian veterinarian on Taraval here in SF, though from reading other boards, it doesn't seem like it's been worth the additional expense. when my hens have seemed off, I've looked for advice on the backyard chicken forum, and have generally faired well.

--Lorraine
Mary
user 9163133
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 19
I don't know any in the East Bay, but I have gone to the avian vet out on Taravel. She's the only certified avian vet around here. She has some experience with backyard chickens, but will find out what she doesn't know. She was really good...but expensive. Like Lorraine, I learn alot on BYC. And they're very responsive to questions. I also frequent Omlet USA. It's smaller, but a great group.

When I first started this I unknowingly purchased 3 chicks from a reputable breeder who didn't know at the time that Marek's was going through her flock. I lost all three and didn't know any better than to go to the vet. So many $$$$ and 3 new girls later I'm learning alot more. There's so much info out there. I also have The Chicken Health Handbook by Gail Damerow which has been helpful, too.

I bet you could pose questions on here, too. :)
Heidi K.
user 10433800
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 3
I'm wondering if you purchased chickens from the same person I did Mary. The lady in Cotati? Unfortunately, she's known that she has Marek's in her flock for 2 years and she continues to purchase chicks from a hatchery that doesn't vaccinate noe does she vaccinate the chicks once they arrive. I lost 6 out of 7 chickens that I bought from her. LAst I heard she moved her business farther North.

As for Vets, I once brought a chicken to the all animal pet hospital on 9th avenue in SF. They were great, but expensive. Ever since, I DIY it, using places like BYC for help. I've heard that Dr. Famine at the Sonoma County Humane Society will work with chickens and is reasonable as far as cost, though i have never used him.
Mary
user 9163133
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 20
I think I know who you mean, Heidi, but no, I didn't get mine there. Mine were in Petaluma. She says she vaccinates for Mareks, I don't know what happened, but she had to "shut down for awhile". She never mentioned why on her website, but someone on BYC PM'd me and told me about it. The woman actually did tell me she had "one" chicken die of Marek's and sent it to UCDavis to be tested and that's what she was told. Mine had Mareks, but all had very different symptoms. I lost all 3 at different ages with different symptoms. It's so heartbreaking.

I will say I got my new ones at TruNorth Farms in Walnut Creek and they are terrific! Thirty day guarantee, too, which would be a quaranteen period anyway. She told me several customers lost pullets from the same place I got mine. I guess it happens and I'm not faulting her, she has a great place and seems very dedicated, but it would've been nice if she was up front about it. It's so heartbreaking.

But my new ones are great and I had (and am still having) lots of learning experiences! Sorry to hear you lost so many. How many do you have now?
Heidi K.
user 10433800
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 4
I've got five now, four of which i picked up from Split Rail Farms in Penngrove. they are all doing great with my one Marek's carrier bird. Super sweet young farmer couple. they had half of their flock wiped out by buying a couple chicks from the same lady i got my diseased birds from.

marek's is everywhere and it can present so differently, which can make it hard to diagnose. they can also die suddenly with no previous symptoms. many of mine did that. but if you buy your birds in sonoma county and they get sick, marek's should probably be in one's first thoughts about disease. it is apparently rampant in our area. my experience has cause me to be very pro vaccination.