SF Pet Chicken Meetup Group Message Board › ADOPTED & WENT TO RESCUE: 4 new hens (layers!) for adoption at SF shelter!

ADOPTED & WENT TO RESCUE: 4 new hens (layers!) for adoption at SF shelter!

Anne M.
user 11212969
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 5
Campbell, Helen, and Emily have been transferred to the bird rescue Mickacoo! Their website doesn't mention chickens, but definitely contact them if you are interested in adopting a hen!

Hi guys -
Today, these hens were put on the SF Animal Care & Control website! I hope there are folks with room in their flocks to adopt these cuties!

Lola is a red chicken who is currently laying (ID#A277845).
[Anne's note: She looks like a Red Star hen - good egg layers through the winter!]

Campbell is a cream colored chicken who is currently laying (ID#A277613).
[Anne's note: Anyone know what kind of hen this is?]

Helen is a red chicken with white tail feathers who is looking for a permanent home (ID#A277996).

Emily is a red chicken with black tail feathers, looking for a henhouse to hang in (ID#A277846).

Plus, they have a Chukar - maybe there's a Chukar meetup group?? =)

There is a small adoption fee - Karen, do you remember what the adoption fee was when you adopted the other hen?
Anne M.
user 11212969
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 6
Karen emailed me: "the adoption fee was $15 and worth it."
A former member
Post #: 4
Do Chukars get along in chicken coops?
Anne M.
user 11212969
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 7
From the responses on the BackYardChickens Forum, it sounds like Chukar pheasants aren't recommended to go in the same coop: http://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=1470450­
A former member
Picked up Lola today! She is such a sweetheart!! Very kind and used to being held....will be great with the kids. Thanks for the heads-up!!
Anne M.
user 11212969
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 8
Yay for Lola! Thanks for adopting!!
A former member
Lola is back at the shelter -- she was debeaked when I got her and the others were giving her too hard of a time --- she couldn't defend herself, so I exchanged her for another Ameraucana hen that was there.
Lola is the SWEETEST bird! If you have a docile or entirely debeaked flock, PLEASE consider her....she's so friendly, she more of a cat that produces eggs than a chicken!
Also, wanted to share that the SF shelter has a lot of hens in right now!! 3-4 brown/buff bantums and 2 other larger birds. A beautiful black hen with unusual brown-tinted feathers on her neck. Most of them are in excellent condition!! Check them out if you'd like to start another flock or add a bird. They are open from 12-5 for adoptions and the fee is $20.
Allison
A former member
I picked up Lola and Princess yesterday and they seem to be getting along just fine in my new backyard coop just north of the Panhandle. The fee at the S.P.C.A. is $20 per chicken but they include a free visit at one of many participating veterinarians in the city, so it is well worth it. Overall a very pleasant experience to deal with the S.P.C.A. Also, I found organic chicken feed at Bernal Beast on Cortland Avenue for $30/50#bag. Talk to Serena, she has been raising chickens for many years and has some good advice. Now if them ladies will just start laying eggs...
Mary
user 9163133
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 23
Did you mean the SF Animal Care and Control on 15th Street? I don't think the S.P.C.A. adopts anything out except cats and dogs.

So good to hear you all have adopted them!
A former member
Yep, sorry, Animal Control on 15th & Treat in S.F. I got confused--that zone has a lot going on with animals and I didn't know who I was dealing with.