SF Pet Chicken Meetup Group Message Board › Sources for Chicken Feed in the Bay Area

Sources for Chicken Feed in the Bay Area

A former member
Post #: 10
Since this keeps popping up, it seemed like a good idea to start a new thread. Lets share our resources!

I use organic pellet feed. I used to drive over to Berkeley Biofuel Oasis, to pick up #50 bags from Modesto Feed ($30). For the past year, I've been getting supplies at Bernal Beast on Cortland Ave...$33 for #50 of layer pellet or crumble. They also carry organic grower crumble, bedding, grit and give good advice.

A former member
Post #: 8
I just got a 50# bag from Bernal Beast, they are great. Talk to Serena, she has raised chickens for many years.
I read somewhere that Rainbow will order chicken feed if you ask them, but I have never done that.
What about Berkeley Bowl?
Anne M.
user 11212969
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 9
Pet Food Express carries both scratch & layer crumble in #50 bags, but I don't think they carry organic. They might be able to order it for you. Also, they match competitors' prices if you bring in the receipt (must be the exact same brand & product), or you can have them call over to the other store for a price check.

Someone told me that instead of oyster shells for calcium for layers, you can feed alfalfa hay - you can buy medium sized bags of this at Pet Food Express, too. PetFood/PetVet in Oakland carries oyster shells.