addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartexportfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

SF Pet Chicken Meetup Group Message Board › chicken just sitting in the nest

chicken just sitting in the nest

dorothy
user 7479843
Dublin, CA
Post #: 1
I have a chicken who is about 16 months old. All she does is sit in the hen house where the eggs are laid. It is to the point that the other hens lay their eggs in there while she is there. Is what brooding is about? She is so solitary and it has lasted probably a month. Should I be concerned?
swimmy44
Swimmy44
Oakland, CA
Post #: 27
Hens molt every few months, sometimes less often, to rest their ovaries. Leave her alone and she will be back to her normal pecking self soon.
Mary
user 9163133
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 31
Has she been laying during this time? If not, she's probably broody. If she's losing feathers, perhaps molting.
People deal with broodiness in different ways. My 14 month old just came out of 4 weeks of broodiness. Another way to tell is if she puffs up big, puts her beak to the ground and makes a "different" than usual sound. Between that, staying in the nest and not laying, that's how I knew. If she is, just make sure she's eating and drinking. And like I said, other folks deal with it differently, usually by separating them into a wire cage so air flows underneath them instead of sitting on a warm nest.
dorothy
user 7479843
Dublin, CA
Post #: 2
Thanks for the input. What you said about the sitting and not laying and fluffying herself is exactly what she is doing. Actually since I posted this, she has started coming out of the hen house. Maybe she is ending her month of brooding, I hope.