addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

SF Pet Chicken Meetup Group Message Board › Advice Needed re my first chickens

Advice Needed re my first chickens

Kris M.
user 13070993
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 1
Hi all,

I am getting my coop together and would like to start getting some chickens.

I only want pullets/hens to start with. I want them for pets and eggs would be groovy too (no roosters as I don't want chicks at this point). I can have up to 4 chickens.

Since I am quite new at this -- is it possible to get chickens old enough to know they are definitely pullets? I don't want to end up with a rooster that got past the 95% accurate sexing rate I've heard about.

Do any of you have pullets that need a home, or can tell me about a good local source? Advice welcome too.

Thanks,
Kris
Harold C.
HaroldC
Group Organizer
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 15
Kris, I've been going to Western Farm in Santa Rosa for about 35 years to get chickens and rabbits and food for all my small creatures. They definitely have pullets, and now would be a good time to get some since they'll be ready to lay when the days begin to get longer in January. They are old enough (about 2-3 months) so you can tell which are the hens and see what they'll look like when they grow up.
They're at 21 West 7th Street, Santa Rosa and the phone number I have is 707-545-0721 (best to call and ask who's available before you go). That's my information offer, hopefully others will offer more.
A former member
Post #: 12
Try the animal shelters around the Bay, I got my 2 young hens at the shelter in San Francisco. I have heard recently about a group of hens up for adoption at the Napa shelter too. They have their shots and they come with a coupon for a free visit to the vet! Good luck.

Kevin
A former member
Post #: 6
From what I know pellets are fine but they eat almost anything. NO Grlic/onions

dairy stuff is good and they LOVE fried Chichen !!!

Give anything a try ONCE

Cheers Peter

http://www.peterbruce...­