San Francisco Screenwriting Group Message Board › New meeting location - If you come to the meetings, please participate in th

New meeting location - If you come to the meetings, please participate in the discussion.

Howard G.
user 6772237
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 22
Those of us who attended the previous meeting were informed that our home for the last year and a half, the Borders at 400 Post Street, San Francisco, is one of the stores scheduled for closure. Has anyone confirmed a closing date? I know the cafe has shut down, but I will confirm the status for this wednesday meeting.

A handful of options have been proposed for a future location, including:

Crossroads Cafe - 699 Delancey Street, San Francisco. Soma - Mission Bay District, near Brannon and The Embaradero.

Mission Creek Cafe - Valencia and 21st street in the Mission District.

I've tried previously creating polls on the site regarding meeting times and locations, with precious little response. So in this case, I'd propose this thread as the place to suggest potential locations or offer to host at a private space if you have one, provided it can accomidate around 20 people comfortably.

Also, if you are at all actively involved in the group, even occasionally, PLEASE lend your input on the following questions.

What are the most impotant factor(s) about the scheduling/location SF Screenwriting Grouop Meetups?
- Schedule: Frequency, Days of the Week, Starting time, duration?
- Place: Private or Public? Noise Level? Food / Drink available?
- Location: Neighborhood, Parking, Convience to Public Transporation? Centrally located (downtown) vs. outer neighborhoods?
- Type: Bookstore, Library, Cafe, Bar/Pub, private home, theater - art space?

What is your honest opnion of the current Borders music/movies space? What are it's positives/drawbacks?

What else about the location, scheduling or the meetings themselves would incline you to attend more or less frequently?

Finally, please share any feedback, input or suggestions to make the SFSW even more awesome than it's already high standards of awesomenity!
Ferdinand
user 11773024
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 14
Hey Mr Awesome.

This is from an opinion of a screenwriter that is a commuter.

The Border's location for me is a bit of an inconvenience. Parking is bad and expensive. I'm not sure about the public transportation in that area also.
I'd prefer a location close to Bart and/or the Freeway due to the travel time it takes to get to downtown.

I wouldn't want to have the location in the Mission District. Parking is terrible there.
Embarcadero is better. It's also close to Bart/Muni/Caltrain.

I think there might be some better locations in the China Basin area. The new UCSF campus might have some alternatives which has access to Muni, Caltrain and the Freeway.

One thing someone might be able to do is ask one of the film schools if they have any classrooms or meeting rooms for us to use.

SF School of Digital Film Making 925 Mission Street Suite 108 (5th and Mission) is a good location. They may have a room we could use and they might like having filmmakers/writers at their location.

What are the most important factor(s) about the scheduling/location SF Screenwriting Group Meetups?

> I like the current format, Alternating Wednesdays and Thursdays. The start time should stay. But the duration should have a max cap at 3 hours. Plus we should reduce the amount of pages to 5 max and the longest discussion should cap at 20min. Then everyone gets a shot of their stuff getting read and the meeting doesn't run so late.

- Place: Private or Public? Noise Level? Food / Drink available?

> If it's a business then Food/Drink would be nice to have. Then the business wouldn't have to feel so used for us having to take up space, but the business can't be busy or the noise level would make our readings bad.

- Location: Neighborhood, Parking, Convenience to Public Transportation? Centrally located (downtown) vs. outer neighborhoods?

> I'd prefer locations that are not in the downtown because of parking and the time it takes to get there. I like the SOMA /China Basin areas.

> No library or private home. Cafe is good. Pub/Bar would be a bit dangerous. Art house local would be cool.

gary
garyweber
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 1
shot a short at sf digital - old sf examiner building on misssion and fifth - a few blocks from borders - they let a lot of people use their facility - worth a try - dont care what kind of place it is - a bar would be nice - still think once a week would be good - good for writers who write a lot - four days a month gives people better chance to attend - maybe it would solve problem of people not getting to read - two hours goes by pretty fast - especially when people take a half hour - think people should read their stuff - take their feedback - and on to the next - think three hours is good - seven to ten - people can leave early if they have to - borders is a good spot - dont find anything wrong with it - you are correct sir - your group has awesomality
Leo M.
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 6
Howard
I like bookstores. That's my first choice. A bookstore next door to a coffee house would be ideal - in my view. I would like to volunteer to investigate what's out there. Is there a team, committee or "designated hitter" working on this? You've got the final say, right?
Let me know if I can assist in any way.
Leo Maselli
Lee
user 5104699
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 33
What are the most important factor(s) about the scheduling/location SF Screenwriting Group Meetups?
I like the every two weeks format, works pretty well for me.

- Place: Private or Public?
Either is fine with me. Being able to hear the readers and the feedback, to me, are the most important things. I am not afraid of private homes, bars, restaurants, art galleries, warehouses, etc. Just as long as we can get to do our thing, and everyone can hear.

Noise Level?
See above...

Food / Drink available?
It'd be nice, but shouldn't make or break the choice of location.

- Location: Neighborhood, Parking, Convenience to Public Transportation? Centrally located (downtown) vs. outer neighborhoods?
This is San Francisco, and my personal feeling is people should take public transportation as much as possible. With that said, I think after the noise factor, and the ability to host 20 people at a time, the most important factor in selecting a place should be the ease in which one would get there via public transportation. Somewhere along the BART lines would be ideal, with MUNI trains option #2.

See above... just someplace sort of quiet and able to accommodate 20 people.

What is your honest opinion of the current Borders music/movies space? What are it's positives/drawbacks?
I liked the Borders we were at. It was "our" space, decently quiet, enough room, easy to get to, and plenty of places to eat or drink before/after meetings.
Personally, I prefer supporting less corporate venues whenever possible, but on the list of criteria, this would be a low priority.

What else about the location, scheduling or the meetings themselves would incline you to attend more or less frequently?
While I think once a week meetings should be available to those who desire them, I'd still probably end up going about every two weeks.
Some place off easy public transportation would probably curb my attendance a little bit.
I think the 'official' time for the meet ups should be 7-10pm, with people free to depart as they wish.
I think people who RSVP should mention it when they have material to read, so we can gauge the agenda.
I also think people should be prepared to have fewer pages of their work read if there are a lot of people with material. I hate that not everyone gets their stuff read and commented on. That may be inevitable though with a group of this size.

By the way Howard, you should send out a note to the entire group mentioning this thread. I only saw it because I happened to come to the Meet Up site.
Thanks for everything!

Lee
Amaroq de Q.
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 2
Very close to public transportation is a big plus--Bart & Muni, thanks.
A former member
Downtown would be the ideal location as it's difficult to get to outlying parts of the city, like the mission (I live in the inner richmond and it's a pain to have to take 2+ buses to make a meeting).
Amaroq de Q.
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 12
Why don't we just meet at the 5th & Mission location every other week? That would simplify everything. The 5th & Mission location is more accessible public transportation wise for people, you can find a place to park on the street a few blocks away or pay for parking at the Mission & 5th garage which isn't too bad.
LuLu
user 38496492
Albany, CA
Hey Howie,

Lm just say, u R keeping a high level of awesomenity rite now. : )
My preferences:
Non-hellacious loc to park & get 2 via car - downtown SF seems worse than the mission in that respect.
Near public transit 4 our general populous.
Food & drink r nice, but I not essential 4 me.
6:30pm is an easier meeting time than 6pm - and I do appreciate the flexibility of being able to show up after that, since I come after work & takes an hour usually, wherever we meet.
I like the various choices of days & weekly frequency. Unfortunately, I work later on Weds & sometimes Tues - but that's just me. Third Thurs r the only Thurs I usually can't do - can we do a different Thurs sometimes?
As long as the space is big enough to hold us, not too noisy & we don't bug others, I'm flexible.
AS 4 pages / commenting, etc.:
I like the 5 - 10 page format. Screenplays allow less words / page. It's often easier to understand & get a fuller picture of what the screenplay is trying to accomplish if it's 5 or more pages. AND I decided not to join a novel writing group b/c they only allow 3 - 5 pages. If u have 325 pages to get thru, it's going 2 take a year & a half. Also, not everyone brings pages every week. I've brought pages, but was happy to wait a week to get comments.
I believe we'd have more time for more screenplays if we r efficient with comments. For example:
-say it once or say 'I agree.' I'm noticing sometimes folks really belabor a point.
-We could aim 4 10min of comments / screenplay or less.
-If we're running short on time, write some comments on the draft u have & give that to the author.
-If u r the writer, seems like the focus should b more on the work we c rather than telling us lots about what's coming later - unless u have a draft we're reviewing & trying to get feedback on the concept.
-Having the moderator step in when comments r running long and say, ok let's try to wrap up - we have x # of other screenplays we're trying to get 2, wd help.

AND, it's a great group as is. I like the casual approach. Thanks all. That's my $.02
: )
Malu