San Francisco Screenwriting Group Message Board › Screenwriting Group Members, ESPECIALLY Meeting Attendees – PLEASE READ!

Screenwriting Group Members, ESPECIALLY Meeting Attendees – PLEASE READ!

Howard G.
user 6772237
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 29

It’s great to see so many writers actively participating in the group and getting so much out of our meetings. I look forward to seeing everyone every week, reading and sharing work and encouraging each other creatively. I’m glad our organization still inspires such a passionate response in people, but the time has come to set some guidelines.

The businesses that host us have generously allowed us use of their space. The owners and staff have been wonderful and gracious in accommodating us, particularly at Borderlands. Unfortunately I received some negative feedback from the Borderlands staff after our last meeting. I know there were some issues on our side as well. Here’s the cardinal rule, folks.

Be nice to the staff. Respect their policies and requests, and do not give them a hard time. Borderlands Café has been a great location for us as far as I’m concerned (obviously this goes for SF School of Digital Film and wherever else we might gather in the past, present or future). Our group took up a significant number of their seats and tables the other night, which obviously affects their business.

The manager of the space reported that members of our group, in his words, harassed or were confrontational to the baristas. I personally witnessed people in the group take a chair from the front of the store after one of the baristas specifically asked we not take that one and had brought us as many as they can spare.

I wasn’t happy about the loud electronic music at the end of the night either, but their business officially closes at 9:00pm. They have permitted us to stay while they clean up, and they should tell us otherwise rather than use the music to “encourage” us out the door. Please bring issues like this to me and I will talk to the managers. Do NOT yell at the staff! That’s the kind of behavior that will cause us to lose the space.

Sorry to be harsh, but most if not all of you that regularly come to the meetings and almost everyone else who attends have been courteous and wonderful guests at our locations, and I don’t want anyone’s actions, real or perceived, to damage the good name of the San Francisco Screenwriters.

On a lighter note,

For the meeting scheduled the day before Thanksgiving, it will happen if there is enough interest. I will check with Borderlands about their plans to be open that day. I’m also happy to skip it for this week, so feel free to embark on your holiday travel plans without worry.