We're just a couple of new-to-SF, sex-positive friends who want to start a book club in the Castro, preferably with cocktails.
"Sex positive" means approaching human sexuality with openness and an appreciation of pleasure, health, and expression. It's not restricted to a particular gender orientation, sexuality, or relationship structure—rather, a sex positive perspective involves a safe exploration of any of these topics. Read more on Wikipedia.
We want to build a group of men and women who read a variety of things with a sex-positive lens, and we like to think this could include fiction and non-fiction, classics and contemporary work, and any number of genres. We don't have a set list prescribed, but if any of these pique your interest, join us!
• The History of Sexuality by Michel Foucault
• My Romantic Love Wars by Betty Dodson
• Lady Chatterley's Lover by DH Lawrence
• Anything That Loves by Charles Christensen
• The Purity Myth by Jessica Valenti
• Sex at Dawn: The Prehistoric Origins of Modern Sexuality by Christopher Ryan
• The Will to Change: Men, Masculinity, and Love by bell hooks
• Straight: The Surprisingly Short History Of Heterosexuality by Hanne Blank
• The Vagina: A Literary and Cultural History by Emma Rees
Ready for intelligent conversation with a good dose of humor and respect?