Bay Area Recumbent Cyclists Message Board › Suggestions?

Suggestions?

A former member
Post #: 8
While I grew up in the area I was away for 10 years and I'm just now rediscovering the best places to ride.

Please don't be shy about suggesting places to ride or times that you would like to go. I view this group just as much yours as it is mine. :)

Thanks and happy riding!
Russell
user 103595452
Livermore, CA
Post #: 1
Given that we have riders from different parts of the Bay Area, I personally like the idea of having the monthly rides in different locales so that on occasion everyone is riding on their "home trail". Listed below are some of the best all-pavement bike paths (I've ridden all but #1) that I know of that are certainly worthy of consideration/discussion:

1. Coyote Creek Trail - San Jose

2. Alameda Creek Trail - Fremont

3. Contra Costa Canal Trail - Martinez/Concord

4. Guadalupe River Trail - Alviso/San Jose

5. SF Bay Trail - Emeryville/Richmond Point

6. Marsh Creek Trail - Brentwood/Oakley

7. American River Trail - Sacramento (I know this isn't Bay Area but this is one of the best bike paths in California if it isn't too hot--could be included once per year)

8. Arroyo Mocho-Del Valle Trail - Livermore

I know there are others too!
Eric
user 106952362
Sunnyvale, CA
Post #: 1
Two more. Foster City to coyote point along the bay and under the San Mateo bridge. And Stevens creek trail through Shore Line Park to Palo Alto.

Eric
Kevin
user 11493346
San Leandro, CA
Post #: 12
Selfish answer: anything near a BART station or not too far starting-wise to San Leandro. ;-p
Kevin
user 11493346
San Leandro, CA
Post #: 14
Bumping this thread.

I agree with Carol and Russell that we need more involvement in brainstorming ride ideas. Some people aren't fond of all the Iron Horse Trail riding, so let's come-up with more ideas!

I wish I could be more helpful, but I've never "explored" much, and I'm limited by my need to use BART stations or my home as the starting points for personal rides (no way to transport my trike...gotta ride it there). But that shouldn't limit those of you with 4-wheeled motorized transportation!
A former member
Post #: 10
Here's a suggestion for a ride: ... San Mateo to Santa Cruz: ... There are few SF - SC routes listed on Map My Ride. 1 route has much milder hill climbs (see SF - SC by Chris King, 76.98 miles). The route from SF - SC is about 77 miles but if you jump on around San Mateo you avoid the large hill climb to the north and can still ride up to about 50 miles south along the coast with only mild hills along the way. This looks like it could be a really nice Bent Ride. At some point I would like to do the full 50 miles down (100 miles round trip) but for a group ride a shorter trip might be better.
A former member
Post #: 11
Is the Iron Horse Trail from Concord all the way down to Pleasanton a desirable option?
There are Bart Stations located at both ends. Despite its popularity and notoriety, I don't think that I have ever ridden on this trail. I jogged a small portion of it years ago but never ridden on it. Is it too crowded???
Russell
user 103595452
Livermore, CA
Post #: 16
Is the Iron Horse Trail from Concord all the way down to Pleasanton a desirable option?
There are Bart Stations located at both ends. Despite its popularity and notoriety, I don't think that I have ever ridden on this trail. I jogged a small portion of it years ago but never ridden on it. Is it too crowded???
Hello Paul. Both the Iron Horse and the Contra Costa Canal (which connects to the Iron Horse) trails are decent options and we have ridden both of these on the BARC Monthly Ride before. In my opinion they are not as fun to ride compared to trails such as the Alameda Creek Trail and the Coyote Creek Trail due to the frequent street crossings and a higher volume of non-cycling pedestrian traffic including dogs and children. We will eventually make our way back to Iron Horse because despite its shortcomings, it is still an OK trail to ride and provides some variety in our routes.
Russell
user 103595452
Livermore, CA
Post #: 17
Here's a suggestion for a ride: ... San Mateo to Santa Cruz: ... There are few SF - SC routes listed on Map My Ride. 1 route has much milder hill climbs (see SF - SC by Chris King, 76.98 miles). The route from SF - SC is about 77 miles but if you jump on around San Mateo you avoid the large hill climb to the north and can still ride up to about 50 miles south along the coast with only mild hills along the way. This looks like it could be a really nice Bent Ride. At some point I would like to do the full 50 miles down (100 miles round trip) but for a group ride a shorter trip might be better.
I have on many occasions ridden from Half Moon Bay to either Davenport or Santa Cruz and back to HMB. It is especially nice on days when it is really hot inland. I would not recommend riding Highway 92 to get from San Mateo to the coast though. Because I much prefer back roads with less car traffic and noise, I usually ride the roads just east of Hwy 1 such as Higgins-Purissima, Verde, Stage, Cloverdale, Gazos Creek, and Swanton. They are so much more enjoyable although they do make for a HMB-SC route with a little (but not really a whole lot) more climbing.
A former member
Post #: 12
These 3 routes were offered up as a meetup by the "Bay Area Cycling" meetup group. Are any of these good recumbent routes? http://supportparks.o...­