Bay Area Recumbent Cyclists Message Board › You do *what* with a trike?

You do *what* with a trike?

user 11493346
San Leandro, CA
Post #: 9
From past conversations with riders on the group rides, I thought I'd satisfy some curiosity:

• I tow about 30-40 lbs. (including the trailer) of camera gear to go "digicscoping" about 7 miles from home. I take photos like these, mostly at the Oyster Bay Regional Shoreline. I haul the gear on a Burley Travoy trailer (check out the hitch on the back of my ICE some time), which includes a full-size video tripod, (tele)scope, camera, and misc. lenses and accessories. Typically photographing subjects at 50-200m, though I have reached out to 330m a few times (that's as much as 1082 feet, 360 yards, or 1/5 of a mile for the non-metric inclined).
  • For cargo hauling, I recently purchased a Bikes-At-Work trailer again (yeah, this is Hitch #2 on the trike...LOL). I had one when I had my Greenspeed GTR (shown here). Don't have any current photos of their new trailer hooked to the ICE, but it's the same general idea: 64" long trailer capable of hauling 200 lbs. You'd be surprised, on flat ground, and aside from using lower gears, how easy this is on a trike. Their trailers aren't pretty, but super-functional, well engineered, and very light for their size (mostly aluminum).
  • Yes, you can get a trike on BART. It's a major PITA at the older stations, but doable. And necessary for me: I'm a full-time motorcyclist. Yeah, I guess I could get a trailer the motorcycle could tow that would hold the trike, but no handy place to store the trailer and kinda defeats the purpose of minimizing my motor vehicle use. Now if only I could casually ride 75+ miles like Zach and Russell!
  • I also own a NYCeWheels electric-kitted Brompton for multi-modal commuting. Couple miles each way to and from BART. Far more practical for daily commuting than a trike.

My trike is my recreation, exercise, and pickup truck.
user 103595452
Livermore, CA
Post #: 5
Usually I just flip birds...

Just kidding of course. Those are some cool pictures Kevin. The most *what*? I've done with a trike is ride it down bumpy dirt forest roads at 35 mph with 35-40 pounds of gear on the back...

Oh, and BTW, only Zach considers 75 miles a casual ride. I wouldn't even try some of the rides he's done even if double-dog-dared...