SF Bay Area Large Format Photography Group Message Board › New Large Format lessons

New Large Format lessons

Tomas
user 4048518
Fremont, CA
Post #: 3
Hi everyone,
Im new to the area and new to the LF format.
I have a cambo Legend II and plenty of film yet no experience in this area.
I have shot quite a few cameras and have been shooting for some time.
Mamiya RB67, Nikkor EL, Canon 5DMkii, Phase one IQ80, Leica S2 etc.
I am interested in mastering this LF camera but I didn't want to submit a meet up suggestion but rather start a discussion here about who may be willing to shoot on a weekend series of learning the LF camera.

Would it be worth it to have side meetups that focus on instruction and use or is this something you al normally do in normal meet ups? I wouldnt want to take up any shooting time asking a lot of newbie questions.

Let me know what you all think. I live in Fremont and work in Burlingame and would be willing to drive for help :)

Also what are you all using to transport such a large camera safely ?
Thanks Thomas
Atul M.
AtulMohidekar
Group Organizer
San Jose, CA
Post #: 49
If other group members are interested in a separate meetup for learning LF techniques, we can definitely set up a meetup.

Another option is to just show up for one of our regular monthly field trips and the group members will be more than willing to help while shooting with their LF gear. Occasionally some brave individuals have known to let others handle their gear, too.
Vishal M.
user 10818403
San Jose, CA
Post #: 13
Hi Thomas,

I live in Milpitas, not far from Fremont. We can meet sometime in the next few weeks to go over some basics, and more if you like, to get some practice before the next meetup. Best Regards, Vishal.
Tomas
user 4048518
Fremont, CA
Post #: 4
If other group members are interested in a separate meetup for learning LF techniques, we can definitely set up a meetup.

Another option is to just show up for one of our regular monthly field trips and the group members will be more than willing to help while shooting with their LF gear. Occasionally some brave individuals have known to let others handle their gear, too.

Atul, Thanks for responding. I will defer to the rest of hte group on the seperate meetup. IF thats not a go then yes I do plan on attending and hauling the monster around and just mimicking you all, which I jear is the best form of flattery :)

Thomas
Tomas
user 4048518
Fremont, CA
Post #: 5
Hi Thomas,

I live in Milpitas, not far from Fremont. We can meet sometime in the next few weeks to go over some basics, and more if you like, to get some practice before the next meetup. Best Regards, Vishal.

Vishal,
That would be awesome. I would love to come out and bring the camera and some film and get some basics. I understand basic titl and shift but not situational focusing and so forth. I have plenty of film to run some test shots and check out the results.

Let me know a good day for you and Ill try to sync my schedule and get out.

Thanks in advance

Thomas
Arun S.
ArunS
Fremont, CA
Post #: 2
Hi Thomas,
Welcome to the group.
I am a 4x5 newbie too, and I live in Fremont/ work in Brisbane.
I too had similar questions like you. Although I have taken the 4x5 on a few outings so far and I really like it, I would also like to get more comfortable with the movements, using the camera in general, shooting/ processing / pp workflow and 4x5 image processing lifecycle (ex., scanning, archival) etc. And I would like to join you and other newbies if it is not a bother.

Hi Vishal and Atul,
Thanks for your responses.
Vishal, I would be glad to join you and Thomas on an outing in coming weeks to cover the basics and get some practice. I am not available next Sunday but can meet anytime between then and thanksgiving.

Best regards,
Arun
Vishal M.
user 10818403
San Jose, CA
Post #: 14
Hi Thomas and Arun,

Please call me sometime in the next few days, and we can figure out details and post them here. It's also faster to contact me by regular email, I'll send a PM with details.

Best Regards,
Vishal
Atul M.
AtulMohidekar
Group Organizer
San Jose, CA
Post #: 50
Thanks, Vishal, for volunteering.

After you guys finalize the date/time and venue, I will create the meetup on the calendar and will send out the notification to all group members - in case others want to join.
Tomas
user 4048518
Fremont, CA
Post #: 6
Hi Thomas,
Welcome to the group.
I am a 4x5 newbie too, and I live in Fremont/ work in Brisbane.
I too had similar questions like you. Although I have taken the 4x5 on a few outings so far and I really like it, I would also like to get more comfortable with the movements, using the camera in general, shooting/ processing / pp workflow and 4x5 image processing lifecycle (ex., scanning, archival) etc. And I would like to join you and other newbies if it is not a bother.

Hi Vishal and Atul,
Thanks for your responses.
Vishal, I would be glad to join you and Thomas on an outing in coming weeks to cover the basics and get some practice. I am not available next Sunday but can meet anytime between then and thanksgiving.

Best regards,
Arun

Arun, I had a friend in Virginia named Arun.. Arun Jagga. So yeah It would be a blast to get out.
I live off of stevenson and PAseo PAdre but Im willing to drive most anywhere to learn.
Vishal is awesome and says he will help as he can.
I spoke with him last night. Maybe you can reach out to him and we can nail down a few dates.

See you soon
Thomas
Gary
user 12103054
San Mateo, CA
Post #: 4
If someone is planning to do another intro/starter workshop I would love to join in.
I've been gradually collecting stuff to start shooting 4x5, but I don't know what I don't know.

Thanks
Gary