|Sent on:||Friday, October 11, 2013 12:42 PM|
The Drupal Rewind (okay, call it a Fork): Backdrop
What's the deal with Backdrop CMS, the fork of Drupal?
Many community members have been showing increasing levels of concern with the architectural direction of Drupal 8. Between large-scale conversions, rewritten foundations, multiple external libraries, and the increased level of abstraction, Drupal 8 is shaping up to be the biggest architectural shift in Drupal's history.
Recently, the concern around these changes reached the tipping point, and a fork of Drupal was officially announced, called Backdrop CMS.
Come join the "founding forkers" Nate Haug ("quicksketch") and Jen Lampton ("jenlampton") at SFDUG to have your questions about Backdrop answered.
- A fork is a tremendous undertaking, why couldn't Drupal 8 just be "fixed" with all this effort?
- How is Backdrop differentiating itself from Drupal 8? How are they trying to be the same?
- Are forks good or bad? How could Backdrop benefit Drupal, and how could it be damaging?
- When is Backdrop going to be ready for production?
- How is development happening and why would you be interested in participating?