The Sci-fi and Fantasy Book Club Message Board › Recommendations for good books/series

Recommendations for good books/series

Samuel L.
SamLubell
Rockville, MD
Post #: 9
I've met her a couple of times at conventions and once when she came in for the Mall's Book Festival. She's a very nice lady. I've not read the books but the first one was nominated for the Andre Norton YA award.

I just finished reading the latest in Holly Black's Curseworker trilogy/series/whatever. There are two books out thus far:

1. White Cat
2. Red Glove

The premise is that magic is done via curses and is touch-based. You can kill someone with a touch, alter their memories, manipulate their emotions, etc. Magic was outlawed along with alcohol during Prohibition but via the ban on alcohol was repealed, the ban on magic was not. So magic fell under the control of organized crime.

The main character of the books comes from a family of con artists with ties to the mob (his grandfather is one of those curseworkers who can kill with a touch). He just wants a normal life, but that's easier said than done.

The books are a lot of fun with plots structured around cons and heists. If you like stories about grifters, these are great ones. They're young adult novels so they're quick reads too.

Amelia D.
user 4464257
Leonardtown, MD
Post #: 12
Interesting new website for science fiction books - BestSFBooks. Right now just a compilation of award winning books and authors, but nicely organized. According to this article, they hope to expand to recommendations based on books you've liked.
Vernieda
verniedabv
Springfield, VA
Post #: 19
If you're in the mood for a seasonal read, Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake is a good one. It's more horror than SF or fantasy, but it's also young adult so it's a quick read. It's about a teenage ghost killer who's following in his father's footsteps and destroying ghosts across the U.S. His latest target is a ghost named Anna Dressed in Blood, who died a violent death while wearing a white dress so it looks like she's wearing blood. It's creepy, violent and about a guy who's more than just a little bit in love with death.
Samuel L.
SamLubell
Rockville, MD
Post #: 21
The link for books to recommend for the book group isn't working.

But I just finished The Highest Frontier by Joan Slonczewski. It's about young woman who goes to a college on an orbital platform in a universe when Earth is threatened by environmental disaster and plant spores from outer space. There's a lot about politics (the main character is from a version of the Kennedy family) but is damaged since her twin died. It just came out, so I'd recommend waiting for the paperback.

I'd also recommend: The Forge of God, by Greg Bear, Revelation Space by Alastair Reynolds, Ventus by Karl Schroeder (free at his website).
Vijay
Vijay82
Group Organizer
Fairfax, VA
Post #: 460
Sorry, Sam. The original post linked to a site feature that Meetup has since retired. I updated it to a working link now. Thanks for catching this.
Shaojun
user 28276622
Alexandria, VA
Post #: 1
'Stories of Your Life and Others ' by Ted Chiang

a collection of short stories published by the author over a decade. Dealing with the nature of world, the enhanced human mind through gene therapy, etc. worth reading, IMO.
Samuel L.
SamLubell
Rockville, MD
Post #: 23
Ted Chiang is an excellent, but very slow, writer. Almost all his stories are nominated for major awards but there are so few of them. He won the Hugo in 2010 for "The Lifecycle of Software Objects"

Some of his stories are online: http://www.freesfonli...­

'Stories of Your Life and Others ' by Ted Chiang

a collection of short stories published by the author over a decade. Dealing with the nature of world, the enhanced human mind through gene therapy, etc. worth reading, IMO.

Amelia D.
user 4464257
Leonardtown, MD
Post #: 19
OK, well worth reading because it's a good book from the literary and story standpoint, but not "fun" in the light and easy reading sense. The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell is the story of alien contact led by a Jesuit team. Very interesting look at what could happen trying to understand an alien species.

Warning, there is some disturbing stuff dealt with in this book.
Lara
user 6265813
Alexandria, VA
Post #: 38
I really enjoyed Julian Comstock: A Story of 22nd-Century America by Robert Charles Wilson.
I also adore Tamora Pierce's novels.
A former member
Post #: 31
So many good book suggestions! I will have to get reading :)

I second many of the books already listed and will add Under the Dome. For once, the TV adaptation seems pretty promising. Let's hope it holds up!