Group Organizer
Fairfax, VA
Post #: 452
Vijay
Vijay82
Group Organizer
Fairfax, VA
Post #: 454
"The Viscount and the Witch" by Michael J. Sullivan (prequel story to The Crown Conspiracy (originally published as Book 1) and first chapter of Theft of Swords (Volume 1) of The Riyria Revelations)

If you like it, we've got two related upcoming meetups:

Vijay
Vijay82
Group Organizer
Fairfax, VA
Post #: 458
With Halloween coming up, here are some spooky short stories, courtesy of Tor.com

"Apologue" by James Morrow: Written in response to 9/11, “Apologue,” reacts to the events through the perspective of three classic movie monsters.

"The Dead" by Michael Swanwick: presents a future world where zombies take center stage not as a threat, but as a commodity....

"Wishbones" by Cherie Priest: a horrific composite creature with a long-lived past spooks some locals....
Vijay
Vijay82
Group Organizer
Fairfax, VA
Post #: 461
"Hello, Moto" by Nnedi Okorafor, author of Who Fears Death (winner of the 2011 World Fantasy Award).
Vijay
Vijay82
Group Organizer
Fairfax, VA
Post #: 466
"The Hand You're Dealt" by Robert J. Sawyer - a murder mystery set in space

"Just Like Old Times" by Robert J. Sawyer - a time travel tale...of sorts

Vijay
Vijay82
Group Organizer
Fairfax, VA
Post #: 473
"After the Coup" by John Scalzi, set in the Old Man's War universe!
Vijay
Vijay82
Group Organizer
Fairfax, VA
Post #: 474
"Non-Zero Probabilities" by N.K. Jemisin, nominated for the 2009 Nebula and the 2010 Hugo Awards.
A former member
Post #: 3
Light Speed magazine (http://www.lightspeed...­) post two new stories, one sci-fi and one fantasy every month. the current ones are Gene Wars by Paul McAuley and You Have Never Been Here by M. Rickert.

john
Crystal
user 12300999
Alexandria, VA
Post #: 7
I haven't been following Tor.com's short story offerings often, but I'm glad I caught the one posted this week: "Uncle Flower's Homecoming Waltz," by Marissa K. Lingen. It's quite short but the idea was catchy and interesting.
Vijay
Vijay82
Group Organizer
Fairfax, VA
Post #: 483
I really enjoyed "Bear in Contradicting Landscape" by David J. Schwartz.