The Sci-fi and Fantasy Book Club Message Board › Short Stories

Short Stories

Group Organizer
Fairfax, VA
Post #: 917
"Running of the Bulls" by Harry Turtledove - There's what we know...and what we assume.
Group Organizer
Fairfax, VA
Post #: 918
"House" by Neil Gaiman - An original poem

"Backscatter" by Gregory Benford - Life might emerge under the most unlikely conditions...or in the last extremity
Group Organizer
Fairfax, VA
Post #: 924
"Portrait of the Book as Golem" by Jane Yolen - An original poem

"Rag and Bone" by Priya Sharma - Tom buys unwanted household items and scavenges other materials (including bones). He resells them in an alternative 19th century Liverpool in which the wealthy use the poor for parts from the inside out, should they need them. Colorful, disturbing, and moving as Tom maneuvers warily between the masters he serves and the poor from whom he scavenges.
Group Organizer
Fairfax, VA
Post #: 934
"Sing" by Karin Tidbeck - In a village on the distant colony of Kiruna, the outcast Aino has worked hard to create a life for herself. The fragile status quo is upset when the offworlder Petr arrives and insists on becoming a part of her life. But he has no idea what it will cost him, and has cost Aino, to belong to the people who sing with inhuman voices.

"Do Not Touch" by Prudence Shen - Lane doesn’t understand why people have such a hard time following directions. All these paintings are clearly marked “DO NOT TOUCH” for a reason.

"The Ink Readers of Doi Saket" by Thomas Olde Heuvelt - People send their dreams and wishes floating down the Mae Ping River with the hope that those dreams will be captured, read and come true. It is a surprise what some wish for and why. One can never know what’s inside someone’s heart—what they really truly want, and those dreams sometimes reveal our true selves.

"Jack of Coins" by Christopher Rowe - A strange, amnesiac man is befriended by a rebellious group of teenagers living in a repressive city.

"We Have Always Lived on Mars" by Cecil Castellucci - Nina, one of the few descendants of human colony on Mars that was abandoned by Earth, is surprised to discover that she can breathe the toxic atmosphere of the Martian surface. The crew, thinking that their attempts at terraforming and breeding for Martian adaptability have finally payed off, rejoice at the prospect of a brighter future. But Nina's about to unlock the mystery of the disaster that stranded them on Mars… and nothing will ever be the same.

"Fire Above, Fire Below" by Garth Nix - This short story is about the crisis that the dying of a dragon living below a major city causes, and the pact made many years earlier to deal with such a situation.
Karla K.
user 26341892
Walker, LA
Post #: 9
These could be fun reads

Gwen H.
user 7017296
Reston, VA
Post #: 22
A story mentioned in connection with Robert Bloch's "A Toy for Juliette" in Dangerous Visions is available at­. (The title would be a spoiler.) They have lots of back issues of sci-fi magazines online, including 73 years of Analog/Astounding Science Fiction , 58 years of Amazing Science Fiction Stories, and 33 years of Asimov's Science Fiction Magazine.
Caroline C.
user 12462145
Alexandria, VA
Post #: 10
I hope we can revive this thread, and share worthy reads published this calendar year. I have never felt that I ready widely enough among the current crop of short fiction to nominate anything for the Hugos, instead taking the lazy way out and reading the nominees after they come out. I plan to submit nominations for the 2016 Hugo ballot, so I would love to hear what people are reading.