The Sci-fi and Fantasy Book Club Message Board › Top 5 Favorites List

Top 5 Favorites List

Vijay
Vijay82
Group Organizer
Fairfax, VA
Post #: 5
To try and get a better feeling for what we're all reading and to share authors and books we love, we're asking you to post your top 5 favorite fantasy titles and your top 5 favorite sci-fi titles. If you don't have 5 favorites, it's okay to post fewer (just please don't exceed 5 per list). If there's a series that you think is consistently amazing throughout, then you can feel free to include that as a single item.

I'll start with my favorites:

Fantasy:
(1) Mistborn Trilogy by Brandon Sanderson
(2) The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher
(3) The Sundering duology by Jacqueline Carey
(4) The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss
(5) Legend by David Gemmell

Science Fiction:
(1) Starship Troopers by Robert Heinlein
(2) Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow by Orson Scott Card
(3) Mars trilogy by Kim Stanley Robinson
(4) Watchmen by Alan Moore & Dave Gibbons
(5) I Am Legend by Richard Matheson
Kent
MakeDifferences
Springfield, VA
Post #: 38
First, a warning - I don't always follow rules, and I can't count. So, since Vijay listed series, I'll use that as license to take liberties with the spirit of this exercise - by listing my favorite authors in each genre...and their books that I liked most. I'm listing the works that were most formative in my growing appreciation of SciFi and Fantasy - shooting for some fairly obscure works, where possible. And I'm intentionally omitting Tolkien...well...because that just goes without saying, and would be WAY too obvious a choice! So, here goes:

SciFi
1. Piers Anthony:
“Macroscope”
“Cluster” series (5 books)
“Of Man and Manta” series (3 books)
2. Robert Heinlein:
“Time Enough for Love”
“I Will Fear No Evil”
“Stranger in a Strange Land”
3. Douglas Adams - “Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy” (5 book “trilogy”)
4. Isaac Asimov – “Foundation” series (original trilogy)
5. Philip José Farmer:
“Riverworld” series (5 books)
“World of Tiers” series (6 books)
6. Harlan Ellison - “I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream” (short stories collection)
7. Harry Harrison - “Stainless Steel Rat” series (10 books)
8. Samuel R. Delany – “Dhalgren” (a very weird and challenging, yet worthwhile, read due to its formatting…and plot)

Fantasy
1. Piers Anthony:
“Incarnations of Immortality” series (8 books)
“Apprentice Adept” series (7 books)
“Xanth” series (but only the first dozen – then it gets way too contrived, and the plot suffers!)
2. Roger Zelazny:
“The Last Defender of Camelot” (short stories collection)
“Chronicles of Amber” double series (5 books each)
3. Ray Bradbury - “Something Wicked This Way Comes”
4. Michael Moorcock - “Elric of Melniboné” saga (6 books)
5. John Norman - “Chronicles of Gor” series (the first dozen were a lot of fun – then it gets formulaic and cheesy).

Happy reading!

P.S. Wow! Vijay - I'm TOTALLY impressed! You added links! Too slick!!!!
Ayaana T.
user 12365039
Springfield, VA
Post #: 2
Very hard question--but if I had to name only 5 favorite Science Fictions the list could include these. I was sorry to come to the end of the stories:

Blood Child and other stories - Octavia Butler
Alan Dean Foster - Mid-Flinx
Madeleine L'Engle - A Wrinkle in Time
Mary Shelley - Frankenstein
A.A. Attanasio - Radix

A former member
Post #: 1
I've inherited my love for science fiction and fantasy from my parents. As kids, my parents read me and my siblings fantasy books for bedtime stories. I have read more science fiction than fantasy as an adult, so most of the fantasy list are beloved books from my childhood that I read again as an adult.

It was really hard to narrow the Sci-fi down to just 5. I have a particular penchant for novels about distopias, so I struggled between picking Brave New World and 1984, but there are a lot more in that genre that I probably could of have put on this list..

These lists are in no significant order.

Sci-Fi
1. Rendezvous with Rama - Arthur C. Clarke
2. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy "trilogy" - Douglas Adams
3. Brave New World - Aldous Huxley
4. Slaughter House 5 - Kurt Vonnegut
5. Canticle for Leibowitz - Walter M Miller Jr

Fantasy
1. Good Omens - Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman
2. Fellowship of the Rings trilogy - JRR Tolkein
3. Alice in Wonderland - Lewis Carroll
4. Chronicles of Narnia - CS Lewis
5. His Dark Materials trilogy - Philip Pullman
Mike
user 10624140
Springfield, VA
Post #: 7
Sci-Fi

1) Dune --Frank Herbert
2) Lord of Light --Roger Zelzany
3) 1984 --George Orwell
4) The Songs of Distant Earth --Clarke
5) A Scanner Darkly --Dick

Fantasy

1) The Lord of the Rings -Tolkein
2) The Dragonlance Chronicles --Weiss and Hickman
3) The Skystone --Jack Whyte

Anna
Anna_Y
Springfield, VA
Post #: 19
It will be hard to keep it to 5!

Fantasy-
1. Mistborn Trilogy by Brandon Sanderson
2. Deverry Series by Katherine Kerr (at least the first 8 or so)
3. The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (Yes, I just finished it, but it went right up there!)
4. The Way of Kings, and probably the entire Stormlight Archives series by Brandon Sanderson
5. The Sharing Knife series by Louis McMaster Bujould

I have so many more, but I thought of these first!

Science Fiction-
1. Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (has to go first, because this is the book that got me into Sci-fi)
2. The Stories of Ray Bradbury, specifically "All Summer in a Day"
3. The Draco Tavern by Larry Niven
4. Commitment Hour by James Alan Gardner
5. Academy Series by Jack McDevitt

A former member
Post #: 10
Too hard... brain hurts... can't eliminate stories...

Can we list our top 500 instead?
A former member
Post #: 11
This thread made me start thinking of books I read decades ago. I should read them again and see if they are still as good.

Thieves World - Robert Asprin and a few others

An anthology series written by many popular authors. Some really cool plot devices in this group of stories. Some of my favorite characters in these.

The Books of Swords (not really a title but how the books are referred to) - Fred Saberhagen

This is several books about the twelve swords of power. The First Book of Swords, The Second Book of Swords and The Third Book of Swords were followed by the stories of several swords... Woundhealer's Story, Sightblinder's Story, etc.

I didn't see any of these in anyone's list. There was a time that these two sets would definitely have been in my top list. Dunno what number but somewhere right up there.
Amelia D.
user 4464257
Leonardtown, MD
Post #: 6
Hey, NPR is asking the same question for a poll, which should result in a top 100 list at some point. Go HERE to submit your top five, and maybe we can get some good ideas out of the list when it comes out.
Annelle
user 20218371
Alexandria, VA
Post #: 1
Here are my favorite series; I'm not splitting them up by genre. Some of these I don't see on anyone else's list, so hopefully you will find something interesting. Most of these are fantasy, but a couple are sci-fi.

1 - Darkover series by Marion Zimmer Bradley
I love all the Darkover books and have read the whole series at least three times (about 28 books now, though many, especially the older ones are pretty short). The fan-written anthologies also have very compelling stories.
2 - The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan/Brandon Sanderson
I would reread these if they weren't so long.
3 - Dune original series by Frank Herbert
4 - The People stories by Zenna Henderson
5 - The Pliocene Saga by Julian May + the prequels and sequels
6 - The DragonLance series by Margaret Weiss and Tracy Hickman
7 - Jaran series by Kate Eliot
8 - Enchanted Forest Chronicles by Patricia C. Wrede
9 - the Silence trilogy by Melissa Scott
10 - Any series by Anne McCaffrey (Pern, Petaybee, Crystal Singer, Rowan, Talents, Doona, etc.) - I haven't read any of her recent works; I didn't like the one Pern book I read co-written by her son. But those older books are definite re-reads.