Please join us for our spring mixer and first-ever laser tag party! Sure you may think you know your fellow book club members, but would you trust them to guard your back with a gun? Would you stand by them as a horde of screaming kids advanced upon a doomed position? Will you together storm a fortified stronghold amidst a hail of enemy fire? If you've ever wanted to pretend you're in a shootout with Klingon berserkers, or a blaster-fight with Imperial stormtroopers, or assaulting Klendathu with the Mobile Infantry, here's your chance! If you've never experienced the adrenaline thrill/combat hilarity that comes with laser tag, you're in for a treat. You don't have to participate in laser tag to attend the event (and pricing varies depending on if/how much you wish to play), though we think you'll have a great time! Shadowland is one of the cooler laser tag facilities in our region, and they've offered us some great deals to make this event possible.
As our group continues to grow so fast, we've seen so much interest in our events that we've had to limit space at the majority of them, and we've held so many events, that most of our members can't make it out to all of them. It's not as often as we'd like that our entire group can get together without restrictions or waitlists. A few times a year, we'll be holding special events (such as happy hours, picnics, parties, etc.) so that we can all get together to mingle and socialize and to meet members we may not have shared an event with yet.
We are asking that each attendee pay a small cost to help us defray the rental cost of the party room and to cover pizza and sodas. We've also negotiated some great pricing on laser tag gameplay, and you can choose to participate in 1, 2, or 3 'adventures' (each includes 15 minutes of gameplay, and if that seems really short...trust me, it'll feel like an epic battle while you're in it). Please consider that these costs are very low for an evening's entertainment (it's about the same cost as an IMAX 3D movie and dinner, but you're actively engaged instead of a passive spectator).
PLEASE READ CAREFULLY: You will need to decide how many adventures you and your guests would like to participate in advance, and to pay online or in person before the event date (at one of our April meetups). The reason for this is that we will be paying the venue at the beginning of our event to cover all our costs and get the discounted pricing on our adventures. The slightly higher costs of Pay Online and in-person credit card (AmEx, Visa, MC) are to cover Paypal's 3rd party fees. If you wish to pay cash in advance, please pay in exact change, bills only.
- Best Value: Attend Mixer with 3 Adventures: $26.07 Pay Online or in-person CC swipe ($25 cash in person before May 3)
- Attend Mixer with 2 Adventures: $25.03 Pay Online or in-person CC swipe ($24 cash in person before May 3)
- Attend Mixer with 1 Adventure: $19.88 Pay Online or in-person CC swipe ($19 cash in person before May 3)
- Attend Mixer without Gameplay: $11.64 Pay Online or in-person CC swipe ($11 cash in person before May 3)
Please remember to pay for yourself and each of your guests. The default payment option will assume each attendee is choosing the 3-adventure package. If some of your guests would like to play lasertag and some would prefer to attend only or play fewer games, you can use the above figures to calculate how much you owe to cover the costs for your full party. We will keep track of your payments and let you know if you've overpaid or underpaid, if necessary. We will also offer refunds for any cancellations up to 10pm the night prior. Anyone who hasn't paid, either online or in-person by the morning of the event, will be dropped from the event and will not be able to attend. Please make sure to answer the RSVP questions to help us validate your payment amount. As always, please keep your RSVP updated and accurate.
- We'll be in a private room at Shadowland. Ask for The Sci-Fi and Fantasy Book Club!
- In addition to laser tag, Shadowland also has an arcade area and a timed laser maze (in case you're training to be an international jewel thief). It's a timed challenge, and it costs $3 for 1 try, $5 for 2 tries, $10 for 5 tries and $20 for 12 tries (you can share among a group of people). You can also challenge each other for a 2-person game.
- We will be providing pizza and soda. Please answer the RSVP question about dietary restrictions. Alcohol is prohibited at Shadowland.
- We will also be conducting our annual book swap. If you have any science fiction or fantasy books that you're no longer interested in keeping, please bring them to trade or pass on to other members. This is a great way to discover new authors (and help others do the same), while clearing space on your bookshelves!
- We're also going to have several books as giveaways or prizes, so stay tuned for more information!