The Sci-fi and Fantasy Book Club Message Board › Potluck Recipes

Potluck Recipes

Vijay
Vijay82
Group Organizer
Fairfax, VA
Post #: 414
This thread is so that when we hold potlucks, people can share or request the recipes. If there was a dish you particularly liked, you can request it here, and if you're willing to share the recipe for what you brought, please do so as well.

Since a couple of you asked, the recipe for Pimm's Cup depends on the size of your pitcher (wide-bottomed is better), but it's approximately to fill the pitcher a quarter full of ice, and then layer sliced cucumber, orange, lemons, and mint. Some people also like peaches or strawberries. But the cucumber mint and oranges really make the drink, I think, so you can add whatever else on top of that, but I wouldn't substitute those out.

Then fill with Pimm's No. 1 (~ $17.50/bottle at ABC) and soda (Lemon-lime is the usual, and I think 7-Up is slightly less limey than Sprite and Sierra Mist, but a lot of people prefer Ginger Ale) in proportions of 1:4 (for a light not very strong drink) to 1:3. Or if you're pouring each glass individually, you can just soak the fruit in the Pimm's, and then fill a cup with ice, fill to about a quarter from the pitcher, spoon in some fruit and mint, and fill to the top with soda.
Cyndi
ChongCrago
Springfield, VA
Post #: 15
Thanks! I really liked this drink.
Kent
MakeDifferences
Springfield, VA
Post #: 64
Vijay -

Thanx! That drink is AWESOME - light, refreshing, and tasty! I can see how it would sneak up on you, if you drink too many, too fast! I'll have to experiment w/ the strength proportions!
Vijay
Vijay82
Group Organizer
Fairfax, VA
Post #: 417
Thanks! Cyndi, would you be willing to post that mac & cheese recipe?
Crystal
user 12300999
Alexandria, VA
Post #: 8
Reviving this thread to share the Horchata recipe I made for last Saturday's DVD meetup.

The main recipe thread is located here, though I was careful to follow some of the more highly rated reviews. Here's the version I used (review #4 by RecipeAddict):

1 2/3 cups uncooked long grain white rice
8 cups water
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 cups milk
3/4 cup + 2 tbsp sweetened condensed milk (I found this was equivalent to about a 14 ounce can)
2 1/2 tsp vanilla extract

This makes 10 cups. I combined the ingredients in a blender (in halves, since my blender is too small) and blended for about a minute. I let it sit in the fridge overnight and then strained out the rice. What I didn't figure out until later is you should probably only blend the rice and water overnight, strain out the rice, and then mix in the remaining ingredients. This will allow you to re-use the rice. I felt bad throwing it all away.

The queso recipe I used is here, in case anyone isn't sick of it yet. I know I am.