The Sci-fi and Fantasy Book Club Message Board › Cheap audiobooks!!! One week ONLY!

Cheap audiobooks!!! One week ONLY!

Springfield, VA
Post #: 89
For those of us who are members of (or those thinking about getting into audiobooks!), they are currently having a sale (started today [07Feb], and runs for a week [until noon on 14Feb]) that lists the first book in a select number of series for only $4.95 each. In my case - there are a LOT of series being listed that our group has mentioned, or read - and this is a DIRT CHEAP way to get an intro into those series.

{CAVEAT: I called to find out the parameters of this sale. They said that any MEMBER will have access to this event. Being a member means that you sign up a (or are already a member with) a monthly creditcard draw - which gives you 1 or more credits a month, depending on your membership selection level. A credit (in MOST cases) gets you a single audiobook. (There are a few cases where some audiobooks are 2 credits - but, in my experience, this is RARE!!!) I personally am signed up for 2 credits a month - and this makes my "per audiobook" price go down. Anyway, Audible ALSO told me that perspective new members can go to "" - and get a 90-day trial membership - - which gives you TWO FREE BOOKS. I can't actually see this page since I'm already a member, but I THINK it's for $9.95 a month - and goes up after the 3 month trial to $14.95. At least - that's how it worked for me - when I began over 2 years ago. However - just REMEMBER that, after 90 days, your creditcard will then be charged monthly, unless you quit.}

I list this under "DISCUSSION" because I'm hoping that anyone who cares to scan the list of audiobooks, will then post any of those books that they feel are particularly worth starting!

Just off the top of my head, I remember seeing "Storm Front" - the first in the Dresden Files series, and "The Name of the Wind" - the first in Pat Rothfuss' Kingkiller series. Also, "Dead Until Dark: Sookie Stackhouse Southern Vampire Mystery #1" by Charlaine Harris is available (I confess - Sookie is a guilty pleasure, since I'm hooked on "Tru Blood" on HBO!). Terry Pratchett's Discworld #1 is there. The #1 Dexter book - upon which the cable series is based - is there (okay, not a Sci-Fi selection!). Dan Simmons' "Hyperion" is available, as well as Isaac Asimov's first "Foundation" novel. And, there are just so many choices. Even at $4.95 a pop, this will probably cost me quite a few bucks!!!

There are currently 250+ titles listed - across all genres. I'm personally considering picking up several of these, but would appreciate any feedback!

Specifically, Vijay - I know you've mentioned the "Kushiel" and "Naamah" series - and you rate them highly on Goodreads. To that - "Kushiel's Dart" and "Naamah's Kiss" are both available.

Others that I'm considering are:

"Across the Nightingale Floor - Tales of the Otori" by Lian Hearn

"The Way of Shadows: Night Angel Trilogy, Book 1" by Brent Weeks.

Allen Steele's "Coyote" series - first novel.

"Monster Hunter International" by Larry Correia

"Dark Lover: The Black Dagger Brotherhood, Book 1" by J. R. Ward

"On Basilisk Station: Honor Harrington, Book 1" by David Weber

"Patient Zero: The Joe Ledger Novels, Book 1" by Jonathan Maberry

Any thoughts or input, y'all???

Springfield, VA
Post #: 21
The Black Dagger Brotherhood series is full of crack. Be prepared. The only guy with a normal name dies on the first page. That said, I've heard the audiobooks are (unintentionally) hilarious due to the combination of ultra-serious narrator and totally ridiculous content.

I thought Across the Nightingale Floor was the best of that entire series so I don't know if it'd be worth your while to start the series.

Do they have The Black Prism by Brent Weeks as part of the sale? We're reading that later this year and it is the first book of a series (but it's the only one that's been released yet). Otherwise, Way of Shadows is about redheaded ninja so you can have fun with that.
Samuel L.
Rockville, MD
Post #: 28
It's worth noting that the first Honor Harrington book is available for free as an ebook (along with a large number of other Baen books, especially first books in series) at the Baen Free Library.
Springfield, VA
Post #: 90
@Sam - Hey, thanx for the feedback!!! And, I'll do ebook, audiobook, paperbook - whatever I can find! And FREE is better (in most cases) than CHEAP! But, is the Honor Harrington series any good??? If so - what distinguishes it from others of its ilk?
Springfield, VA
Post #: 91
@ Vernieda - Thanx for your input! I'd heard some good things about the Black Dagger Bro-hood series -but wanted more input. Might be fun - but you never know...a good book can be ruined by a crap reader!

As to the Brent Weeks series - nope! There was another series I was looking for...but it, too, had only released the first of a proposed series. So, I think it has to be established series for this sale. The only Brent Weeks book I saw (and I may be wrong!) was the one I listed.
Group Organizer
Fairfax, VA
Post #: 481
The Honor Harrington books are quite fun; they've often (and most accurately) been described as Horatio Hornblower in space. The worldbuilding is interesting and very well done, the technology is cool, the politics and intrigue draw interesting parallels to history, and the books read a little like a cross between C.S. Forester and Tom Clancy. Dialogue is a little awkward (in my opinion), and the characters would normally be a little too goody-two-shoes for my traditionally dark tastes. But the stories are well-paced adventures, and the battles are very well done. I'd say the first book in the series is absolutely worth giving a shot, and then if you like it it's worth continuing on.
Springfield, VA
Post #: 92
@ Vijay - great feedback - perfect suggestion - yeah, for $4.95, how can I go too far wrong! Sounds like it's worth the shot, and see if it suits my tastes! Also, a plot like that might actually work pretty well in audiobook format. I know that "Old Man's War" was fantastic in audio! "Ender's Game" was also pretty good in audio, as well. Sounds like "Honor" might be in that general realm. Thanx!
Springfield, VA
Post #: 93
@ All - - Hey, most of you have heard me yack on about audiobooks - but, it REALLY has allowed me to keep up with our book group's reading-load. I'm a VERY slow, no, no - wait, I've got to be fair to myself for a change - I taught Freshman English, so I read "meticulously" - - I'm the guy that notes the missing commas and the misplaced's almost like I'm reading a book with the idea of giving it a grade at the end - both on mechanics and on style! Heck, it's all I can do to keep from red-penning the dickens (English-major pun intended!) out of a hardcopy book (while red pen on my nook doesn't work as well)! ANYWAY, audiobooks let me reclaim what I consider to be "wasted time" during my commute. It's probably not for everyone, and I did have to ease into it with more factual (less plot-driven) books - but I'm just sayin'...!
Springfield, VA
Post #: 22
The Black Dagger Brotherhood falls into the "Immortal Band of Frat Brothers" category of paranormal romances. It was pretty much the series that started a trend of darker, more violent books in paranormal romances. I usually describe them to people as a cocktail of steroids and crack. The names and "language" are kind of ridiculous. (And by "kind of," I mean "completely.") Ward has a tendency to brand name drop and in later books, she includes text message exchanges so there's plenty of chatspeak.

I personally don't think she does as much with the world as she could -- there's a lot of interesting things that could be explored -- but since they are romances, she focuses more on the relationships. Not just between the couples but among the characters. She's also very fond of sexualizing violence and rape tends to play large roles in various storylines, so there is that. Your mileage may vary.
Springfield, VA
Post #: 94
@ Vernieda - - you may have pushed me over the edge at "romance". = : )

Now, I like me some "paranormal", alright - but if it's too icky-squishy (in a gushy, overdone sort of way), then I may bail on this. Admittedly, it was a woman who suggested this series to me (not that there's anything gender-biased intended!), but, she DID say that "guys like it, too." Still, I've had no reason to seriously consider the series, until now. To be honest, I've been known to read the occasional "romance-like" book - "Sookie Stackhouse" isn't all that bad (definitely not all that well written, but fairly clever and action-filled...even if Sookie gets WAY to much air-play with her perpetual accessorizing - OM-Freakin'-G!!!), and "Anita Blake" is a darkly cool babe, too. But, if the sucky-face to kicky-ass ratio (SF:KA) is over-balanced toward the slobbery side (SF>KA), then I'm probably not going to like it all that much.

Oh, and whinny, angst-crippled wimps will squirrel my read every flippin' time!

{Hmmm, "Squirrel My Read" - should that be a reality show, or a new catch-phrase that I need to wag about a bit more??? Kent's new tag-line - "Hey, don't squirrel my read!"}

Thanx TONS for the in-depth 411, V.!