align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

The Sci-fi and Fantasy Book Club Message Board › Best Books by Authors at the Nebula Awards Mass Book Signing

Best Books by Authors at the Nebula Awards Mass Book Signing

Jonathan H.
roninj
Bethesda, MD
Post #: 3
So I read about the Nebula awards that will be in our area this year, and got really excited about the mass book signings. It is a rare thing for me to get to meet the authors of books I've loved. Unfortunately, my tastes have largely run to non-current authors, so I haven heard of any of the authors who will be at the event this year. so I wanted to pose this question to the group. What books by any of these authors would you recommend?
Vijay
Vijay82
Group Organizer
Fairfax, VA
Post #: 553
Definitely check out Joe Haldeman's The Forever War.

Jack McDevitt writes fun sci-fi books. We've read A Talent for War and Time Travelers Never Die by him in the past.

Myke Cole's Shadow Ops: Control Point is supposed to be good, from what I've heard though I haven't read it yet.
Jonathan H.
roninj
Bethesda, MD
Post #: 4
Thanks Vijay. Im definitely going to read those. Where in the workd do you find the time to read non group books? :) Also, looking through that compiliation of military sf by military veterans I told you about, I see I've read quite a few of them after all. Haldeman also contributed to the Thieves world series I enjoyed.
Samuel L.
SamLubell
Rockville, MD
Post #: 31
John Scalzi's Old Man's War is the first in a four-book series. If you like military sf, this might be a good bet.

Joe W. Haldeman's Forever War is a classic everyone should read.

James Morrow writes religious satire. I like his Only Beloved Daughter and his Last Witchfinder book is good too.

For Walter John Williams, you might like Hardwired as an action/adventure, but I'd recommend Metropolitan