The Sci-fi and Fantasy Book Club Message Board › New Venue for Book Discussions

New Venue for Book Discussions

Amelia D.
user 4464257
Leonardtown, MD
Post #: 24
The following comments reflect only my own views, blah, blah, blah...

My thoughts on Lucky's as a book discusion location:

Goods:
Friendly staff
Tasty food
Free WiFi!

Others:
Meeting time shift due to restaurant hours
Somewhat pricey (>50% more than I typically spent at Grounded)

Analysis: Due to the time shift (morning session can't start till 11am), wrapping up morning session checks, and ordering for afternoon session, I didn't really get to eat lunch until almost 2pm. Doesn't really work for me. Between that and the price, I'd have to say that if go back, I probably eat and first and won't be ordering food. Otherwise a good location, not too busy, easily able to hear everyone.

Verdict: Mixed. Good for discussion, not so great for eating at twice a month. Not sure if it will work long term if a lot a people end up not purchasing...
Samuel Lubell
SamLubell
Rockville, MD
Post #: 35

Analysis: Due to the time shift (morning session can't start till 11am), wrapping up morning session checks, and ordering for afternoon session, I didn't really get to eat lunch until almost 2pm. Doesn't really work for me.

If we met here, perhaps there'd be enough space we could go back to having a single group that started around noon.
Marlo
user 38209772
Washington, DC
Post #: 4
Just to ask, anyone thought of holding it in a public library meeting room or rec center? You may not be able to bring in food or drinks but it might give you a designated room to discuss the book in.
Kent
MakeDifferences
Springfield, VA
Post #: 105
@ Marlo - - Thanx for your ideas, and yes, that has been discussed. It's a good idea, in theory, yet I think that most of us are pretty spoiled to having food readily available, and at reasonable prices. Librarys let us bring in food - but it's not always fun to have to keep packing in your own eats. However, as we weigh options, such things as a secluded quite spot will factor in. Thanx again for your thoughts! We are always open to new considerations!
Vijay
Vijay82
Group Organizer
Reston, VA
Post #: 872
The main challenge with public libraries is that they're only open from 1-5pm on Sundays (and only some of them), so it would be difficult to have 2 sessions here.

Also, integrating the morning and afternoon sessions is less an issue of a venue having enough space, and more an issue of how much interest/attendance we have in each session. Even if we could find a room that could handle a 30-person discussion, I don't think it would be a very good discussion, so we're unlikely to go in that direction.

Thank you, though, please keep the feedback and ideas coming!